Audio By Carbonatix
The Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in the Ashanti Regional is recording an upsurge of Covid-19 cases among children.
In the last 10 days, nine children in the facility have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
While the youngest among them is an 11-day-old baby, the oldest is 14 years.
Head of the Child Health Directorate, Prof Sampson Antwi, said the situation is taking a toll on the facility as management struggles to access space for children diagnosed with Covid-19 and other cases.
"We are having a huge surge in Covid positive cases and the disease initially, children were said to be spared. We had 14 the whole of last year but this year, just the spate of 10-days, we got 9 positive cases," he told JoyNews.
The hospital is the only paediatric referral facility in the northern sector of the country.
Management says the hospital is overstretched and in dire need of space.
"The Covid strain that we are having now is really affecting children. At the moment the wards are already full, so if the situation persists, we don't know what we are going to do," says Prof Antwi.

Prof Antwi said the facility can no longer admit cases.
"We are not in the position even to bring new cases. I don't mean Covid. Anybody who is sick when you come here, we will just triage you infront [of the hospital] probably in an ambulance that you came in with.
"If there's something that we need to do for you, we can do to stabilize you and send you back because our wards are full".
According to him, there are ongoing talks with the Regional Health Directorate to create a treatment center for children with Covid-19.
"We are exploring the possibility of getting a treatment centre for children [with Covid]. We are in talks with the Medical Director. They have actually had discussions with the Regional Health Directorate to see if they can create space for children who are stable; Covid positives who are stable so that we can move some of them there."
Medical Director of the Hospital, Prof. Baafuor Kofi Opoku, revealed that out of 504 samples taken, 251, representing 49.8 per cent returned positive.
The figures were recorded between last year and January 26, 2021.
Meanwhile, management has denied allegations of neglect and lapses in its Covid-19 management.
Some caregivers at the Child Health Directorate have accused management of putting their lives at risk as suspected Covid-19 cases are managed alongside other patients.
But at the press briefing to respond to allegations, management denied the allegations.
Latest Stories
-
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
4 minutes -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
1 hour -
Government bans land transit of cooking oil; orders crackdown on customs complicity
1 hour -
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
2 hours -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
2 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
3 hours -
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
3 hours -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
3 hours -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
4 hours -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
4 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
5 hours -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
6 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
6 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
7 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
7 hours
