About 117 Ghanaian medical students are stranded in Lugansk, a city in the eastern part of Ukraine.
The students have complained, calls to the Ghanaian embassy in Moscow have never been picked nor returned.
A student told Joy News, "we are confused we don't know what to do. We go to town, shops are closed. We try to maneuver to get food. Our families put money into our accounts but we cannot withdraw monies from our account".
"We are hiding in hostels…closer to a military base..behind our buildings bombings are taking place…." a spokesperson said.
The Ukrainian conflict began in February 2014 after a series of violent events in the capital of Kiev, culminated with the ousting of the then President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych. The country has known no peace since as the Eastern region claims to have seceded.
Hundreds of people have so far been killed and many wounded in a fight between the self-proclaimed Lugansk People’s Republic (LNR) and Kiev forces as conflict in the eastern European country continues.
The students want government to help them secure a flight back to Ghana as they describe life there as unbearable.
According to the students the only food they have been eating in Ukraine is rice and potatoes which have also run out.
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
Egg vendors in Kumasi lament about poor quality and sizes of eggs on the market
Kuami Eugene describes critics of his attire during Range Rover presentation as shallow
Jobberman Ghana stirs initiative to enable SMEs hire the right way
‘Securing NDC’s Future’ forum alien to party executives – Peter Otokunor
Chief Justice set to establish tax court to help GRA prosecute defaulters
Ghanaian women stranded in Saudi Arabia call on Akufo-Addo for help
Gyakie’s ‘Forever’ at number 3 on Billboard Top Triller Chart
Mary Elizabeth Van Dyck
NRSA petitions MTTD to investigate Cocobod vehicle that broke traffic regulations
New cocoa management system to promote transparency
Thirteen drown as vehicle plunges into canal in Philippines
GNC complies with EPA directives to stop pollution of Tano River
Industries are killing water bodies in Greater Accra – Kpone Mantse
Vanessa Bryant shares intimate wedding picture to mark 20th anniversary with Kobe Bryant
Fire engulfs Mampong College of Education administration block