Two suspected highway robbers, who escaped arrest after engaging the Police in a fierce gun battle at Kalba, have been arrested in Wa.
The initial incident occurred in the Sawla Tuna Kalba District of Savannah Region where two of their colleague robbers died.
Confirming the incident to JoyNews, the Savannah Regional Police Command said the two, Osman Musah, 26 and Ibrahim Yahaya, 22, once again engaged the Police in a gun battle from their hideout at Kpaguri.
One officer was injured in the process.
In November last year, four suspected highway armed robbers invaded the Kalba community in an indiscriminate shooting spree.
The Police confronted them and killed two suspects in the process. The remaining two, who have been arrested, managed to escape on motorbikes.
The Savannah Regional Police Commander, DCOP Peter Baba, explained that the suspects were arrested in Wa but were later returned to the Savannah Region where they are believed to have committed the offence.
“We believe they are the same people who took part in the robbery in Sawla, where two civilians were killed. It was based on that reason we traced them to Kalba. So, we have decided that we take them to the hospital for examination and confirmation on the kind of wounds on their bodies,” he said.
DCOP Baba added that based on Police intelligence, “we learned they were going to rob so we decided to lay ambush and when they [the suspects] came, they started firing indiscriminately.”
He called on the residents to volunteer any information that will guarantee the arrest of other robbers in the communities.
The suspects are currently in the custody of the Sawla Command and are assisting with further investigations and prosecution.
- ECG’s IT department resisting checks and balance moves by MD – Kwadwo Poku
- Gabby Otchere-Darko hangs out with Arsenal players after win over Spurs
- Akufo-Addo directs SIGA Boss to probe infractions in 2021 Auditor-General’s report
- I don’t feel sabotaged – ECG MD on credit purchase challenges
- I broke down after old tweets resurfaced – KiDi
- Declare state of emergency in mining areas – OccupyGhana to Akufo-Addo
- Akonta Mining Limited has no permit to undertake any mining operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Minerals Commission
- COCOBOD signs $1.13bn syndicated loan for 2022/2023 cocoa crop season
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana’s economy further within junk status
- Nana Ampadu to be buried on October 8
- Ghana’s Marcia Ashong is among 2022 most influential people of African descent
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- DBG partners GIRSAL to train staff of financial institutions on Agric-Financing
- Woman leaves husband after discovering he secretly love her sister
- Ajax want to qualify from the group stage – Mohammed Kudus
- GIJ SRC Women’s Commission launches 2022 women’s week celebration
- FBNBank supports Rotary community projects
- Reputation is very important – Alhassan Andani tells FBNBank talent cohort
- Fire destroys shops at leather section of Kumasi Central Market
- GWCL assures regular water supply despite flooding incidents
- Capt Ibrahim Traoré: From shy schoolboy to military ruler
- Choosing Chelsea over United was ‘best decision of my life’ – Mikel Obi
- Neighbour rescues 13 Zambia women held for six months
- Mankessim murder: Court adjourns case to allow police more time to investigate
- Nima Dreams: ‘Inadequate pitches causing decline in football talents’ – Mohammed Polo