A joint operational team has intercepted 53 parcels of suspected marijuana at an unapproved route on the Ghana-Togo border in the Ketu South Municipality of the Volta Region.
The parcels concealed in a bail of used clothes weighs about 22,683.2 grams.
The team which included officials from the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS), Customs, Excise and Preventive Service (CEPS) and the Narcotics Control Board (NACOB) made the interception during a routine patrol exercise in the Beat 6 border enclave on Saturday, 16 May 2020.
A press release signed by the Officer In-charge of the Volta Regional Public Affairs Unit of the GIS, Asst. Insp. Felix Klu-Adjei indicated the team, however, failed to make any arrests.
“The owners of the contraband, upon seeing the officers advance towards them quickly abandoned the goods and fled into neighbouring Togo”, he stated.
He said that the GIS Aflao Sector Command has launched a manhunt for the suspects with the hope of bringing them to book.
Asst Insp. Klu-Adjei added that the GIS Patrol Border Team made a similar interception of 31 parcels of suspected marijuana 48 hours earlier at the beat 11 border enclave.
He also revealed that the contrabands have since been officially handed over to the NACOB in Aflao for further investigations.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Government must engage labour on IMF deal – Austin Gamey
- Permit service personnel to teach you fire preventive measures – ADO2 Nartey
- We have burden-shared enough, government needs to show commitment – GRNMA
- Arrest made in killing of New Jersey council woman Eunice Dwumfour
- Government should brace itself for a possible showdown should it attempt salary reduction – GRNMA
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- UCC’s Prof David Teye Doku named best Social Sciences and Humanities Scientist in Ghana
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Black Stars face USA in friendly on October 17