Audio By Carbonatix
Sixty-five survivors of a Kenyan Christian cult are facing charges of attempted suicide after refusing to eat meals given to them at the rescue centre where they had been taken.
At court on Monday, the prosecution applied to have the survivors remanded in prison where mental and medical assessments could be done - as the rescue centre could no longer hold them.
A ruling on the application is expected later in the week.
It is a criminal offence to take your own life in Kenya under laws introduced by British colonisers. Those same rules in England were scrapped more than 60 years ago and Kenyan campaigners are fighting to end them in their country too.
The 65 survivors are said to be followers of Pastor Paul Mackenzie, the alleged cult leader who is said to have convinced his congregants to fast to death in order to go to heaven.
Over 280 bodies have so far been recovered in shallow graves in the vast Shakahola forest near the coast where the pastor operated – 10 were exhumed on Monday.
Autopsy reports have shown that most of the victims, including children, died of starvation but some were strangled, beaten, or suffocated.
Latest Stories
-
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
48 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
49 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
52 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
56 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
3 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
4 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
7 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
7 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
7 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
8 hours