Audio By Carbonatix
The National Security Minister Albert Kan-Dapaah has said members of the SWAT team who were deployed to La Bawaleshie on January 31, 2019, did not shoot at anyone.
According to him, the leader of the team reported that one person sustained “gunshot wounds” but insisted they were not responsible.
The Minister said the commander was convinced “that shot did not come from them but probably, from within the compound [of NDC parliamentary candidate, Kwasi Brempong].”

Responding to questions at the Emile Short Commission tasked to investigate the violence that characterised the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election Thursday, Mr. Kan-Dapaah said, “They [SWAT team] do not even remember seeing any such person on the ground and that the person shot came from that compound.”
Just hours into the by-election at the La Bawalashie Presby polling station, shots were fired at the location.

Photos obtained by Myjoyonline.com showing blood stains and bullet holes on the ground.

According to Joy News’ Roland Walker, several dozen security detail wearing black masks and shirts labelled NSC (National Security Council) stormed inside the polling station and began firing shots.
The shooting lasted 20 minutes, he said. Police intervened as the personnel attacked what is believed to be NDC activists.
Related: Shots fired as tensions rise in Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election
The Police Administration has so far taken statements from 16 victims of the shooting incident.

“My information is that when they left that polling station, they all rushed into this house that was under surveillance. When the SWAT team later attempted to go closer to the house, the inmates started pelting them with stones,” Kan Dapaah told the Commission.
He added that: “Later, they [SWAT team] also said they heard gunshots coming from within the compound of the house. Our boys then gave warning shots which they tell me did not hit anybody.
“But obviously, I await the end of the investigations to find out exactly what happened and how many shots they fired and whether it did hit anybody,” he said.
Listen to him:
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
3 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
5 minutes -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
24 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
3 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
3 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
3 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
3 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
3 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours