Audio By Carbonatix
According to Daily Mail, Gunners are being kept updated with regards to the former Valencia man's future with a view to launching an audacious swoop should Chelsea decide to sell.
Manager Arsene Wenger came close to landing Mata in 2011, but Chelsea pipped the Gunners to the 25-year-old.
Mata has become one of the Premier League's best ever imports, winning the Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup since his arrival.
Chelsea insist the player is not for sale this summer, but Arsenal will continue to watch the situation carefully should their stance change.
Reports emerged earlier this week that either Mata or David Luiz could be used as makeweights in Chelsea's move for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney.
But Mourinho rubbished the prospect, saying there was 'no chance' either player would be sold this summer.
“I spoke with them during the summer but when they finished the Confederations Cup I wished them luck and told them I will see them on July 28,” said the Chelsea boss.
‘I have told them they are very important for me. How can I change that two days later? So, no contact with them.’
Mata scored 11 Premier League goals last season and notched up 13 assists, earning him the club's player of the year award for the second successive season.
Arsenal are also chasing a number of other targets, with the north-London club hoping to bring any one of Liverpool's Luis Suarez, Manchester United's Wayne Rooney or Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain to the club as a marquee summer signing.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
7 minutes -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
16 minutes -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
23 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
1 hour -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
2 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
2 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
3 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
3 hours -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
3 hours -
Police disown viral flyer on AirPods, earphones use while driving
3 hours -
Stop using media to challenge judicial decisions – Thaddeus Sory to lawyers
3 hours -
The next generation expects more than degrees from universities
3 hours -
Ebenezer Dwomoh to stage fourth stand-up comedy special in Kumasi
3 hours -
Central Regional Minister urges traditional leaders to hold public officials accountable
3 hours -
Ada Traditional Council suspends four members for defying cancellation of 2026 Asafotufiami durbar
4 hours