Audio By Carbonatix
The Fisheries Ministry has placed a ban on fishing by industrial trawlers from August 1, to October 1, and threatened any vessel that flouts the directive with a $1-million fine.
The sector Minister, Elizabeth Naa Afoley Quaye, who announced this in an interview added that the ban on industrial trawler fishing was part of moves to replenish the dwindling fish stock in the country’s territorial waters.
She said there were enough monitoring mechanisms put in place to ensure that the ban was adhered to.
Explaining further, Mrs Quaye said the Ghana Navy and the Marine Police were ready and alert and had already installed some tracking devices on licensed fishing vessels, while a monitoring team from the ministry, supported by local fishermen, was also on the lookout for trawlers that would contravene the order.
This year’s closed season for small-scale fishermen was begun on May 15, 2019 and ended on June 15, 2019.
Artisanal fisher folk have suggested that the closed season should be timed well and in synchronisation with all types of fishers.
Mrs Quaye said “information gathered so far from fishermen indicates that there is improvement in fish catch this year”.
She said some fish species thought to be extinct, including a class of small herring and a local fish popularly known as ‘kankan’, were caught this year by some fishermen.
Refuting media reports that some fishermen had complained of low fish catch after the closed season this year, she said the issue of dwindling fish stock had been with humanity for the past three decades.
“The issue of dwindling fish stock has been with us for three decades now. We are aware of the challenges and that is why we are working closely with fishermen and other stakeholders to have the situation improved tremendously by the next decade,” she said.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Fire engulfs building at Laterbiokoshie, fire service battles blaze
7 minutes -
Ivory Coast maintains GH¢3,600 equivalent per cocoa bag as Ghana reels from 28% emergency price cut
16 minutes -
GFZA celebrates National Chocolate Week and highlights opportunities in cocoa sector
29 minutes -
Former MMDCEs appeal to President Mahama for payment of end-of-service benefits
30 minutes -
Former MMDCEs petition President Mahama over unpaid benefits
33 minutes -
Plan International Ghana launches 9.4 million CAD support for women’s rights groups
53 minutes -
KsTU adjudged best technical university, 4th best university in Ghana in 2026 QS sub-Saharan Africa rankings
57 minutes -
Ghana considers extradition option in intimate image leak case – Gender Minister
1 hour -
Bawumia launches NPP rebuild, announces new policy unit ahead of 2028
1 hour -
We’re strengthening cross-border and cybersecurity collaboration to combat online abuse – Gender Minister
1 hour -
Obama clarifies views on aliens after saying ‘they’re real’ on podcast
1 hour -
Russia killed opposition leader Alexei Navalny using dart frog toxin, UK says
1 hour -
OMCs commence fuel price increases: GOIL sells petrol at GH¢10.24 as diesel rises to GH¢12.83
1 hour -
Modern, Vertical, Visionary: PUNA officially launched in Accra
2 hours -
Bishop Joel Duncan-Williams pays courtesy call on Central Regional Minister during evangelical visit to UCC
2 hours
