Audio By Carbonatix
A Nigerian court has granted the government permission to label a local Shi’ite Muslim group a terrorist organisation, the solicitor general told Reuters on Saturday.
Members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) have been marching in the capital Abuja calling for the release of their leader, Ibrahim Zakzaky, who has been in detention since 2015 despite a court order to release him.
The protests have often turned violent. An IMN spokesman said at least 20 of the group’s members were killed this week during demonstrations.
Dayo Apata, Nigeria’s solicitor general, confirmed in a mobile text message that a federal court in Abuja had granted the government permission to proscribe the IMN, a move offering the authorities the chance to clamp down harder on the group.
An IMN spokesman said they had not received any formal notice but said marches would continue.
Zakzaky’s office said plans to ban the movement had been considered since 2015 and it was not surprised by the move.
A court in the northern state of Kaduna is set to decide on Zakzaky’s bail application on Monday.
The Shi’ite group can appeal the order.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
2 minutes -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
1 hour -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
2 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
3 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
4 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
4 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
5 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
6 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
6 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
6 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
7 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
8 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
8 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
8 hours -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
8 hours
