Audio By Carbonatix
Five players with Eritrea's under-20 national football squad have absconded in Uganda and have sought asylum, reliable sources have confirmed to BBC Tigrinya.
The players disappeared from their hotel and did not show up at their training ground, reports say.
The team travelled to Uganda to play in the regional Cecafa under-20 Challenge Cup tournament.
Human rights groups say thousands of Eritreans have fled the one-party state because of rights abuses and to avoid national service, which is compulsory and indefinite.
The chairman of the tournament's organising committee, Aimable Habimana, said the five players went missing from their hotel in Jinja, a city on the shores of Lake Victoria, Uganda's Daily Monitor newspaper reports.
"We have decided to beef-up security around their hotel and the team so that we end the tournament on a good note,” he is quoted as saying.
Eritrea have been performing well at the tournament, making it through to the semi-final, where they will face Kenya.
When asked by officials about the absence of the players during a training session on Tuesday, Eritrea's coach Haile Efrem Alemseghed said some of his players were sick, the Daily Monitor reports.
This is not the first time Eritrean footballers have absconded during tournaments.
In 2013, Uganda granted asylum to 15 players and the team doctor, who disappeared during the 2012 Cecafa Tusker Senior Challenge Cup.
In 2015, 10 players refused to return home after playing a World Cup qualifying match in Botswana.
And in 2013, nine members of the team and their coach disappeared in Kenya.
Latest Stories
-
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
2 minutes -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administration
13 minutes -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
21 minutes -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
51 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
54 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
1 hour -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
2 hours -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
3 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
3 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
3 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours