Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria has recorded the first case of coronavirus, health officials confirmed Thursday.
The Federal Ministry of Health in a Twitter post said the case was recorded in the commercial capital, Lagos.
It is also the first case to be confirmed in West Africa since the outbreak in China on December 31, 2019.
A statement signed by the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, stated that an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on February 25, 2020, was suspected to have contracted the disease. Mr Osagie said he (Italian) was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. He said the patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos. He advised Nigerians to pay adequate attention to their hygiene, reeling out measures to prevent contracting the disease. The novel coronavirus COVID-19 is affecting 53 countries and territories around the world and 1 international conveyance (the "Diamond Princess" cruise ship harbored in Yokohama, Japan). So far 83,369 cases have been reported worldwide with 2,858 deaths recorded. Some 36,525 persons who initially tested positive, have now recovered.The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus(Covid-19) case in Lagos State Nigeria. The case which was confirmed on 27/02/2020 is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020 @WHO @BBCWorld #CoronaVirusUpdates pic.twitter.com/uF79NYzvAz
— Federal Ministry of Health, NIGERIA (@Fmohnigeria) February 27, 2020
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
21 minutes -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
38 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
48 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
51 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
57 minutes -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
1 hour -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
1 hour -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
1 hour -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
1 hour -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
1 hour -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
1 hour -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
1 hour -
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
1 hour -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
1 hour -
Work to resume on UHAS multi-purpose laboratory complex – Volta Regional Minister
2 hours
