Audio By Carbonatix
Police in Macau have arrested 26 people in raids in an operation to break up illegal World Cup gambling syndicates.
Officers in the Chinese city carried out two raids on the same hotel and said the arrests had brought down two syndicates.
Reporters were told that the first raid, carried out on Thursday, found a syndicate operating from three hotel rooms. People from mainland China, Hong Kong and Malaysia were detained.
Police found illegal bookmakers had been taking telephone and online bets from around the world, with some people having staked bets in the millions of dollars.
Suen Kam-fai, a Macau police spokesman, said: "Information indicates that this syndicate accepted bets before and after the matches kicked off -- that's why they needed a lot of manpower to take bets via the internet and telephone."
Officials said the arrests were "part of a continuing crackdown on illegal bookmaking in Macau."
Gambling is illegal in most of mainland China, but is allowed in Macau and also Hong Kong.
The authorities are concerned about high levels of illegal gambling surrounding the World Cup. Hong Kong police have set up a task force with their counterparts in Macau and believe criminal gangs are taking advantage of the tournament to rake in huge profits.
Latest Stories
-
National Mining Dialogue 2026: We must remain independent in reporting on mining — GJA President
4 minutes -
Social licence must be reimagined as a development compact with the youth – Sammy Gyamfi
5 minutes -
Give indigenous landowners control to curb irresponsible mining – Dr Nana Kwao Adarkwa
13 minutes -
Interior Minister urges religious leaders to protect Ghana’s tradition of tolerance
14 minutes -
In Pictures: Dignitaries, stakeholders gather for National Mining Dialogue 2026
22 minutes -
BoG inaugurates Financial Advisory Council to drive non-interest banking in Ghana
24 minutes -
Mineral right is a privilege, not an absolute right – Minerals Commission
25 minutes -
Ablakwa seeks Russian support for Africa-led fight against Sahel extremism
37 minutes -
Host mining communities are partners in development, not obstacles – GJA President
38 minutes -
Ghana to sign 5 new petroleum agreements soon – Energy Minister
39 minutes -
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
50 minutes -
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
58 minutes -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
59 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
1 hour -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
1 hour