Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Football Association(GFA) says they are yet to respond to a letter from the World Cup commission of Inquiry asking them to return the remaining US 3.1 million dollars paid by FIFA for participating at the 2014 world cup.
The country earned US$ 7.1million after deductions and paid the Sports Ministry of a loan of US$4million dollars which was used to pay the appearance fees of striking players at tournament. Ghana’s 2014 World Cup budget has been a key issue at the Commission setup to review Ghana’s shambolic performance at the World Cup.
FA president Kwesi Nyantekyi had earlier revealed at a presser organized by the FA that their outfit was awaiting official communication from the Commission to decide their next line of action. GFA Communications Director says the FA would respond to that not in the distant future.
"We have received the letter from the ministry stating that we should return the remainder of the World cup monies and we have handed it over to the legal team of the federation ,who are studying it and to give us a response ,they are yet to do that ,so we can get back to the Ministry of Sports" he added
The Ghana FA was hoping to use the remaining US$ 3.1 million dollars for "legacy projects" and now fear that may not come to fruition if the entire world cup booty is handed to the Sports Ministry.
The Ghana FA Suffered a similar ordeal after 2010 world cup in south Africa when government diverted the entire booty of US$11million dollars to its consolidated fund. Asked when to expect the FA's response to the Commission's request, spokesperson Saani Daara was not definite.
Per the original arrangement, the Ghana FA had with Sports ministry under erstwhile Minister Elvis Afriyie Ankrah, the $3.1 million balance after the loan repayment was to be invested in the development of Ghana sports.
Latest Stories
-
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
29 minutes -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
1 hour -
Baffoe-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy’ against Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin
2 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
2 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
3 hours -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
3 hours -
Police disown viral flyer on AirPods, earphones use while driving
3 hours -
Stop using media to challenge judicial decisions – Thaddeus Sory to lawyers
3 hours -
The next generation expects more than degrees from universities
3 hours -
Ebenezer Dwomoh to stage fourth stand-up comedy special in Kumasi
3 hours -
Central Regional Minister urges traditional leaders to hold public officials accountable
3 hours -
Ada Traditional Council suspends four members for defying cancellation of 2026 Asafotufiami durbar
3 hours -
Association of Small-scale Industries, GEA strengthen artisans through mentorship, coaching
3 hours -
Two arrested over alleged galamsey activities in Tanoso
3 hours -
Ghana rises to sixth-largest gold producer globally after record 2025 output
3 hours