Audio By Carbonatix
A 31-year-old Nigerian woman has been granted a ₵12,000 bail by an Accra Circuit for impersonating the Minister for Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah.
Vivian Sajida Imran has also been accused of posing as ministers to defraud unsuspecting victims to the tune of about ₵10,000.
According to the police, Imran together with her husband, Prince Joel, currently at large, have been charged with eight counts of falsely pretending to be a public officer and defrauding under false pretence.
Her was bail comes with two sureties, one of whom must be a public servant, earning not less than ₵1,200 after her lawyer prayed the court to grant her bail.
Presenting the facts of the case to the court on Friday, State Prosecutor Detective Frederick Sarpong told the court that in April, the accused persons used the names of Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah; Foreign Affairs Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway; and the Deputy National Security Minister, Henry Quartey, to create multiple Facebook accounts, pretending to be the Ministers.
According to the Detective, Imran and her husband, through online chats and phone calls informed their unsuspecting victims that they could secure jobs for them at Tema Oil Refinery, Ghana Gas or COCOBOD.
Following this, the suspects requested the victims to pay various amounts to mobile money accounts in order for their application forms and interviews to be facilitated.
The monies amounting to about ₵10,200 were paid to their mobile money accounts. The Prosecutor told the court that a search conducted in the suspect’s rooms revealed six mobile phones, including the three mobile money numbers, used to receive the monies from the victims.
He explained that an order of the court was sought and a forensic examination was carried out on the retained mobile phones. One of them was found to contain a SIM number which had been registered in the name of the first accused person, Imran.
The same number was found to be the final destination where the ‘booties’ obtained from the victims were transferred and later withdrawn.
During investigations, the prosecutor said the Imran admitted being the owner of the mobile money number. With the number in hand, the police contacted the victims, and they narrated their ordeal.
The case has been adjourned to June 3, 2020 as efforts are being made to track the second accused person, Joel.
Latest Stories
-
Australia bans citizen trying to return from IS camp in Syria
5 minutes -
US says ‘meaningful progress’ made as Ukraine talks enter second day
5 minutes -
Police intercept truck carrying over 3,000 slabs of suspected narcotics; two arrested for bribery
7 minutes -
COCOBOD projects GH¢5m monthly savings after executive pay cuts
9 minutes -
Edem Agbana to petition GES over ‘dehumanising’ colonisation content in JHS social studies textbooks
27 minutes -
Kofi Adu Domfeh: A new world disorder of climate change?
28 minutes -
Govt engages Burkina Faso over safety of Ghanaian tomato traders — Dumelo
37 minutes -
World Series 2026: History made as Ghana’s para swimmers set for first major competition
55 minutes -
Morning Glory MCDC donates 300 desks to Krowor schools ahead of 30th anniversary
56 minutes -
Useless Column: How to make your wife change
56 minutes -
Useless Column: ‘Wifee is dangerous’
1 hour -
Abu Jinapor calls for urgent cocoa sector reforms
1 hour -
Kofi Adu Domfeh: A new world disorder of climate change?
1 hour -
One more suspect arrested over killing of Police officer at Zebilla
1 hour -
Useless Column: Russian Roulette
1 hour
