Audio By Carbonatix
The push by former Chief Executive of the Venture Capital Trust Fund (VCTF), Daniel Duku to escape possible jail term by refunding GH¢15million to the State has been rejected once again.
Justice Anthony Oppong said the court is not impressed with the plan to refund the money to the state by paying in bits.
Mr.Duku and two others accused of causing financial loss to the state have been engaging the Attorney General’s office to jointly refund GH¢20million.
The two other accused persons are Irene Anti-Mensah, who was his Executive Assistant at the VCTF, and Frank Aboagye Mensah, Anti-Mensah’s husband. The three accused persons wanted to plead guilty to a total of about 42 charges levelled against them and make amends by paying the money they allegedly took from the state, in line with Section 35 of the Courts Act, 1993 (Act 459).
The court had earlier rejected the proposal saying it does not conform to the requirement of the law. He directed that they work on a new deal and submit to the court.
Justice Oppong had pointed out that on the face of the agreement, there was no indication that the accused persons fully understood what they had signed.
He said the agreement was basically a plea bargain and, therefore, the accused persons must be made aware of the charges which would be dropped against them, whether the prosecution, as a compromise, would drop other charges, the fact that they would not have a right to appeal, among other issues.
At the hearing of the case on Monday, Justice was Oppong was informed of a payment plan spanning three months that will see the three refund GH¢20milion.
Justice Oppong said this was totally unacceptable and the court would exercise its rights to reject the deal.
He directed that trial will proceed; fixing July 3 for the case management conference.
Latest Stories
-
LUV FM High School Debate: Opoku Ware and St. Hubert seminary book quarterfinal spots
12 minutes -
‘I was born in South Africa’, says beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina facing legal bid to deport her
2 hours -
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK
3 hours -
Ghana’s output expansion largely driven by labour, capital rather than innovation – Opoku-Afari
3 hours -
Ghana is ready for nuclear power adoption – Gov’t affirms
3 hours -
GJA@77: Media-government partnership vital to Ghana’s democracy – Shamima Muslim
3 hours -
LUV FM High School Debate: Opoku Ware and St. Hubert Seminary book quarterfinal spots
3 hours -
Stronger research, industry linkages needed to build a competitive digital economy – Deloitte Technology Senior Manager
3 hours -
Economy experience high but unbalanced growth from mid-2000 to 2022 debt crisis – Former 1st Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Tell Your Story: Political, business and industry leaders to share journey with young Ghanaians
3 hours -
‘Gold cannot save you at 2am’ – Obuobia Darko challenges mining giants to invest in healthcare
4 hours -
Wontumi’s incarceration will not stop his chairmanship bid – Palgrave
4 hours -
Eurobond borrowings over 2007-2021 used for budget financing; Ghana borrowed US$15.59bn – Opoku-Afari
4 hours -
Newborn baby found in dustbin at Kasoa Main Station toilet
4 hours -
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
5 hours