Audio By Carbonatix
NDC’s National Communication’s Officer Sammy Gyamfi says contrary to popular view, Dominic Ayine is not running away from any contempt charge against him.
According to him, Mr Ayine only failed to show up in court for the petition hearing on Thursday because he is bereaved.
"He lost a friend and he had to go to the funeral. So, he is not in court not because of any alleged contempt proceeding that has been brought against him. Officially, we are also not aware of any contempt proceeding that has been brought against him,” he told the press.
Mr Gyamfi said the party has seen a publication claiming Mr Ayine had been cited for contempt but there was no reference to the processes.
“We will wait and get confirmation on that before we can make our position on that known,” he added.
His comment comes after reports went viral that the Supreme Court had cited Mr Ayine, who is a spokesperson for petitioner John Mahama, for contempt after he claimed there was a predetermined agenda among the judges to rule against the petitioner.
The statement followed a unanimous decision by the Supreme Court to dismiss an application by lawyers for the petitioner that sought leave to reopen his case and subpoena the Electoral Commission Chairperson, Jean Mensa.
The reports claimed that Mr Ayine was expected to be served with the process on Thursday, February 18, and subsequently be called to answer to the Court.
However, Sammy Gyamfi believes Mr Ayine who is a senior member of the bar meant nothing malicious when he made his statement.
He explained that as a lawyer Mr Ayine will not deliberately disparage the court or seek to scandalise the court in any way,
“He is capable of explaining these issues in a way that the justices of the supreme court and Ghanaians at large will appreciate if that time comes,” Sammy Gyamfi added.
Latest Stories
-
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
7 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
15 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
25 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
32 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
58 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
1 hour -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
1 hour -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
1 hour -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
2 hours -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
2 hours -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours