Audio By Carbonatix
The death toll from powerful tornadoes that devastated towns in Kentucky is likely to pass 100, the governor says, as hope of finding survivors wanes.
Andy Beshear said this was the most devastating tornado event in the state's history, with at least 80 confirmed deaths.
"Nothing that was standing in the direct line of [one] tornado is still standing," he said.
Fourteen deaths have been reported in four other states.
President Joe Biden has declared a major federal disaster in Kentucky and ordered federal aid to be made available to the hardest-hit areas.
Rescue workers scoured debris for survivors while teams distributed water and generators to residents. More than 300 members of the National Guard were going door to door and removing debris.
"We're still hoping as we move forward for some miracles to find more people," the governor said during a visit to the town of Mayfield, one of the hardest hit.
However, no-one has been found alive since Saturday morning.
Mr Beshear said a tornado had wrecked places all along its 227-mile (365km) path. Thousands of people had their homes destroyed though the exact number was still not clear.
Previously, the longest a tornado had travelled along the ground in the US was a 219-mile storm in Missouri in March 1925 that claimed 695 lives. Such major events outside of the spring and summer months are extremely rare.
In Mayfield, the fire station and the city hall were flattened. "I don't think there's a pane of glass in any vehicle or property that the city owns that isn't shattered," Mayor Kathy Stewart said.
Eight deaths were confirmed at a candle factory that was hit when 110 employees were believed to be inside, a spokesperson for the company told Reuters news agency. Eight other people were still missing.
The numbers are far lower than previously feared, meaning that the governor's death toll estimate could be revised down.
Kyanna Parsons Perez, a factory worker who made a desperate plea for help on Facebook from under the wreckage, told the BBC that other businesses had shut down for the storm and staff there should not have been at work.
Latest Stories
-
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
42 minutes -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
47 minutes -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
1 hour -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
2 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
2 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
3 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
3 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
3 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
3 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
3 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
4 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
4 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
4 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
4 hours