Audio By Carbonatix
Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has disclosed that the government has commenced plans to secure cheaper petroleum products onto the Ghanaian market.
The Minister made this revelation while speaking to Evans Mensah on PM Express on Monday.
According to him, the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) and the Ministry of Energy will provide further details about the importation of fuel onto the Ghanaian market in the coming days.
He noted that the Energy Ministry had already begun talks with some major sources and sovereigns in the supply of petroleum products.
“In President Kufuor’s time, we did it with Nigeria, Sahara lifting for us and you could have supply credit lines and a fixed price that you could bank on and it is a very similar arrangement that has already commenced and I am expecting that in the coming weeks the NPA, the Energy Ministry will have the opportunity to provide the details,” he said on PM Express, Monday.
“I am saying that the work has already started, I will want them to come and put out those details…I am not going to preempt what the people responsible for the sector are going to do. We are scheduling for all of them to come and provide their detailed presentations and during those presentations, all of the questions can be put to them,” he told Evans Mensah.
The Minister’s statement comes a day after President Akufo-Addo announced that government is working to secure reliable and regular sources of affordable petroleum products for the Ghanaian market.
The deal, if successful is expected to put some stability to the escalation of the fuel prices in the country.
Currently, petrol and diesel prices are being sold at an average of ¢18 and ¢23 per litre, from the previous prices of ¢15 and ¢19 per litre respectively.
Already, some leading OMCs have adjusted the prices of petroleum products at their pumps.
Petroleum consumers have lamented the high prices of petroleum products on the market as it has affected businesses and plummeted the cost of living in the country.
Latest Stories
-
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
22 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
23 minutes -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
35 minutes -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
2 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
3 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
3 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
3 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
4 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
5 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
5 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
5 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
6 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
6 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
6 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
6 hours