Audio By Carbonatix
Niger’s highest court lifted the immunity of the country’s democratically elected president, Mohamed Bazoum, nearly a year after he was overthrown by mutinous soldiers, his lawyer said Friday, opening the door for the military junta to prosecute him for alleged high treason.
Bazoum and his family have been under house arrest since a military coup that overthrew his rule last summer.
The junta authorities said they planned to prosecute him for “high treason” and for undermining national security, and earlier this year initiated legal proceedings to lift his immunity in a newly created State Court, which became the country’s highest judicial authority.
Before Bazoum was forcibly removed from power, Niger was the West’s last major security partner in the Sahel, the vast region south of the Sahara Desert that has become a hot spot for violent extremism.
But the military junta ordered the withdrawal of Western troops from the country and turned to the Russian mercenary group Wagner for security assistance.
U.S. forces are poised to leave by the middle of September, the Pentagon said earlier this month.
The proceedings before the State Court have been marred by serious irregularities, including violations of Bazoum’s rights to present evidence in his defense, to communicate with his legal counsel, and to be heard before an independent court, according to Human Rights Watch, a leading rights group.
Bazoum’s lawyer, Reed Brody, criticized the ruling as a “mockery” of the rule of law in Niger. “We never even got to speak to our client,” Brody said. “This is a travesty of justice.”
Bazoum’s lawyers have been unable to communicate with him since last October and have had restricted access to case material, according to HRW.
Late last year, the highest court of West African regional bloc ECOWAS ruled that Bazoum and his family were arbitrarily detained and called for him to be restored to office.
Latest Stories
-
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
20 seconds -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
21 minutes -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
38 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
48 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
51 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
57 minutes -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
1 hour -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
1 hour -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
1 hour -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
1 hour -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
1 hour -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
1 hour -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
1 hour -
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
1 hour -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
1 hour
