Audio By Carbonatix
FIFA overturned the results of three Malaysia matches after finding they had fielded ineligible players, the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) said on Wednesday, in the latest setback for the team amid a widening document forgery scandal.
FIFA had suspended seven naturalised players for 12 months and fined FAM 350,000 Swiss francs ($439,257) in September after finding false documentation had been used to allow them to play in an Asian Cup qualifier against Vietnam in June.
World soccer's governing body dismissed an appeal by FAM last month, saying it would launch a formal probe into the association's internal operations and notify authorities in five countries of potential criminal proceedings.
FAM said in response it would bring the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
MALAYSIA HANDED 3-0 DEFEATS IN FRIENDLIES
In its latest decision, FIFA's disciplinary committee also changed the results of three friendlies the players had appeared in -- against Cape Verde on May 29, Singapore on September 4 and Palestine on September 8, FAM said.
"All three matches were declared lost by forfeit (score of 3-0) and FAM was sanctioned with a fine of 10,000 Swiss Francs. The decision remains subject to appeal," a FIFA spokesperson said.
Malaysia had drawn 1-1 with Cape Verde and earned 2-1 and 1-0 wins over Singapore and Palestine.
"FAM will make a written application to obtain the reasons for the decision from the FIFA disciplinary committee before considering the next steps to be taken in this matter," the association said.
The scandal has sparked uproar in Malaysia, with fans and some lawmakers calling for action against FAM as well as government agencies responsible for granting the players' citizenship.
Last month, the association suspended its secretary-general and formed an independent committee to investigate what it called a "technical error".
Malaysia's Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim has vowed full transparency in domestic probes, but stressed that FAM should be allowed to defend itself.
Latest Stories
-
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
57 minutes -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
2 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
3 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
3 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
4 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
5 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
6 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
6 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
6 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
7 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
8 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
8 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
8 hours -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
8 hours -
The Republic of Uncompleted Dreams…
9 hours
