Audio By Carbonatix
The Director of Field Operations for the United Party, Hopeson Adorye, has called on former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta to return to Ghana and submit himself to investigation, insisting that an innocent person has nothing to fear.
Speaking on JoyNews’ The Pulse programme on Tuesday, January 20, Mr. Adorye said his decision to join the Arise Ghana picketing at the United States Embassy in Accra was driven by his belief in accountability and good governance.
“I am a believer of probity and accountability, so when I heard the Arise Ghana picketing at the embassy of US, I decided to join them because it is a good cause, and we all want Ken Ofori-Atta to come so that he can answer some questions,” he stated.
Mr. Adorye stressed that he is opposed to suggestions that the former finance minister should be tried in absentia, arguing that due process demands the physical presence of the person under investigation.
“I am against people who are saying we should try him in absentia. I am against it. If Ofori-Atta has nothing to hide, at least he should come down,” he said.
According to him, the investigative process should be allowed to run its full course, as it could ultimately clear the former minister of any wrongdoing.
“Question number one, you answer. Question number two, answer. Maybe at the end of it, they will say they don’t have any evidence to prosecute you and then you will be set free to go,” Mr. Adorye added.
He further questioned the prolonged absence of Mr. Ofori-Atta from the country, referencing a letter written by the former minister in early 2025.
“We have barely eight days, then it will be one year. The letter written by Ken Ofori-Atta on 2nd January 2025 to the then Chief of Staff said he was travelling from 4th January to 28th January 2025. Today is the 20th. We have just eight days, then it will be one full year that he said he will return and as at now, he has not come back,” he said.
His comments come amid public debate over reports that the U.S. had begun processes that could lead to the extradition of the former minister, even as he is said to be preparing for a virtual court hearing in the coming weeks.
Ken Ofori-Atta, who served as Ghana’s Finance Minister from 2017 to 2024 under the New Patriotic Party (NPP) administration, has been at the centre of multiple public controversies over alleged financial mismanagement and procurement-related concerns.
In recent years, the Office of the Special Prosecutor announced investigations into several transactions approved during his tenure, including revenue assurance contracts, public debt restructuring processes, and payments made under sole-sourcing arrangements.
His lawyers have previously stated that he remains willing to cooperate with any lawful investigative process, citing health and security concerns for his temporary stay outside the country.
Latest Stories
-
GPL 2025/26: Aduana FC beat Young Apostles to end winless run
2 hours -
Hasaacas Ladies beat Army Ladies on penalties to win Women’s FA Cup
2 hours -
Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran as peace progress stalls
3 hours -
Chick-fil-A franchisee sued by US government for religious discrimination
3 hours -
Swatch stores close for second day after crowds
3 hours -
New York rail strike continues as commuters brace for Monday chaos
3 hours -
UAE reports strike near Abu Dhabi nuclear power plant
3 hours -
Barcelona score Real Betis to ensure perfect hone La Liga record
3 hours -
Vinicius scores Real Madrid winner at Sevilla
4 hours -
Neymar furious as he is wrongly substituted
4 hours -
70 years of independence, 70 years of broken promises: Otumfuo demands new narrative for Ghana
4 hours -
Bad weather disrupts flights as aircraft circle over Accra Airport
4 hours -
Sinner speeds into history with Rome win
4 hours -
Casemiro’s fond farewell – how Brazilian turned Man Utd career around
4 hours -
Liverpool must return to heavy metal football – Salah
4 hours