Audio By Carbonatix
Moroccan authorities began organising the gradual return of residents to the city of Ksar El Kebir and other flood-hit areas in northwestern Morocco as weather conditions improved, state media reported on Monday.
Authorities backed by the army had helped evacuate 188,000 people since early February to protect them from overflowing river waters that swept across 110,000 hectares in the northwest.
Most residents of Ksar El Kebir, 213 km north of Rabat, are now allowed to return home, except for those living in a few neighbourhoods, the interior ministry said on Monday.
INVESTMENT PLAN TO UPGRADE INFRASTRUCTURE
Train and bus rides were offered free of charge to transport residents who had sought shelter with relatives in other cities or in centres and camps provided by authorities, state TV reported.
Morocco plans to spend 3 billion dirhams ($330 million) to upgrade infrastructure and support flood-affected residents, farmers and shop-owners in the inundated areas, the prime minister's office said last week, declaring the hardest‑hit municipalities disaster areas.
The Oued Makhazine dam, which had reached 160% of capacity, was forced to gradually release water downstream following exceptional inflows, resulting in rising water levels in the Loukous River, which inundated Ksar El Kebir and the surrounding plains.
Rainfall this winter was 35% above the average recorded since the 1990s and three times higher than last year, official data showed.
Morocco's national dam-filling rate rose to nearly 70% from 27% a year earlier, with several large dams being partially emptied to absorb new inflows.
The exceptional rainfall ended a seven-year drought that had prompted the country to increase investments in desalination.
Latest Stories
-
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
19 minutes -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
23 minutes -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
35 minutes -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
51 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
51 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
52 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
52 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
56 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
1 hour -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
1 hour -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
1 hour -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
2 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
2 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours