Audio By Carbonatix
Four persons accused of engaging in online fraud to acquire three vehicles have appeared before the Accra Circuit Court One.
Brorien Onojemete, 30; Kenneth Okiti Ochuko, 33; Prince Odion Obomagha, 34; and Frank Bakpa, 25, face charges of conspiracy, preparation to commit a crime, attempt to commit a crime, and prohibition of trafficking.
In addition, Onojemete, Obomagha and Bakpa have been charged with money laundering for allegedly acquiring, through fraudulent means, an unregistered Toyota C‑HR valued at GH¢300,000, a Mercedes-Benz GLK 350 valued at GH¢350,000, and a Honda CRV valued at GH¢400,000.
The court declined bail and ordered the accused to reappear on April 8, 2026.
Their pleas were not taken as investigations are ongoing.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Issah Achiburi, prosecuting, told the court that the complainants are security personnel from the Tema Regional Police Intelligence Directorate and the Cybercrime Unit of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Headquarters.
ASP Achiburi said the accused, all Nigerians residing at Afienya, Tema, were arrested on March 18, 2026, during an intelligence‑led operation at Emef Estates.
Sixteen suspects were apprehended in an apartment while operating laptops and smartphones.
Police retrieved 17 laptops, two iPads, 22 smartphones, an internet router, and three vehicles.
Preliminary investigations identified Onojemete, Ochuko, Obomagha and Bakpa as ringleaders who trafficked 12 victims to Ghana and exploited them for online scams, including romance fraud.
The accused admitted, in caution statements, to engaging in internet fraud and to residing in Ghana without permits.
Seized digital devices are to be examined at the Digital Forensic Laboratory to aid investigations.
Defence counsel prayed for bail, arguing that the accused had fixed places of abode, had been detained beyond the constitutional 48‑hour limit, and would not abscond, as their devices had been confiscated.
The prosecution opposed bail, describing the accused as a flight risk with no reliable Ghanaian ties.
ASP Achiburi noted they lived in rented apartments, could relocate at any time, and might abscond given the seriousness of the offences.
The case has been adjourned to April 8, 2026, for further proceedings.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana Sports Fund to rely on lotto, gaming revenue and corporate support — Administrator
57 seconds -
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
4 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
5 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
6 minutes -
KN Foundation, partners donate GHC20,000 and items to Nsawam Prison inmates
8 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund will transform sports infrastructure within five to ten years — NSA boss
11 minutes -
GIB advocates deeper financial sector collaboration for growth
13 minutes -
Children must be supported to discover and develop their talents — Advocate
14 minutes -
One Nation Reggae Festival: Sierra Leone builds cultural bridge between Africa and the Caribbean
15 minutes -
New Metro Mass buses will improve safety, comfort and efficiency — Vice President
16 minutes -
Funny Face declares himself mental health advocate after recovery journey
24 minutes -
KN Foundation outreach: ‘This is not your permanent home’ – Okraku brings hope to Nsawam inmates
32 minutes -
Samson Deen sponsors Para Powerlifting team for African Championship qualification campaign
32 minutes -
Tolon NDC youth petition Asiedu Nketia over killing of party supporter ‘Alhaji’ Haruna Saibu
34 minutes -
Albert Teye wins Kia Ghana World Cup contest grand prize on Joy FM
41 minutes