The family of a 22-year-old man who was shot by a police in the Volta Region following clashes between residents of Adina in the Ketu South District of the Volta Region and workers of a salt mining company are demanding justice from the state.

Atsu Nkegbe died, Wednesday when the police's attempt to restore law and order in Adina turned bloody.

He was one of the many residents protesting the activities of a salt mining company in the area. The residents claim the activities of the company have denied them their livelihood.

Adina, a predominant fishing community has an army of youth, mostly unemployed.

On Wednesday, an army of residents besieged the company's premises demanding that they halt business and relocate.

The invasion turned chaotic when the residents allegedly began looting and destroying machines at the company's premises.

According to Joy News' Volta Region correspondent Ivy Setordjie, the police was called to maintain law and order but that turned disastrous as one person died in the midst of the skirmishes.

The police came in firing in an attempt to maintain law and order resulting in the death of one of the residents and injuring others.

Ivy Setordjie said calm has returned to the area nearly 24 hours after the clashes.

The Regional Operations Commander Ebenezer Apraku Asare is reported to have described the action by the residents as criminal and barbaric.

The police claim it was a rubber bullet fired into the crowd, a claim the residents have disputed insisting it was live bullets.

The police however described as unfortunate the death of the 22-year-old.

The family of the deceased wants justice and would stop at nothing to achieve that.

Meanwhile, the residents are also insisting the salt company must relocate in order for the youth in the area to get jobs to do.

They maintain that ever since the company was established in the area, they have been deprived of their livelihoods.

Ivy Setordjie, who visited the company's premises Thursday reported many properties have been damaged as a result of the invasion by the residents on Wednesday.