Audio By Carbonatix
Angola head coach Patrice Beaumelle has criticised FIFA for allowing football clubs to retain players from countries that have qualified for the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) until 7 days before the start of the tournament.
Beaumelle made the comments in response to FIFA’s announcement on Wednesday, which essentially sets aside the previous convention that made it compulsory to release players, at least fourteen days before the commencement of international tournaments on the FIFA calendar.
“FIFA only needs Africa during elections, but it doesn’t value our competitions like AFCON or give them the recognition they deserve,” Beaumelle said.
Wednesday’s development significantly entrenches an already lopsided power dynamic, which has emboldened European clubs to keep African players from representing their countries, sometimes until the tournament has already started.
Previously, clubs were required to release players two weeks before the start of major international tournaments.
However, FIFA has decided to set this rule aside, rather urging affected African countries to ‘‘hold bilateral discussions in good faith to find appropriate individual solutions. In cases where there continues to be a dispute over the release of players subsequent to such bilateral discussions, FIFA will, in mediating between both parties, apply guidelines that take into account the circumstances of each case, including factors related to the timing of matches of affected competitions, the stage of these competitions, the historical and planned involvement of the players in the competitions in question, as well as any other pertinent factors.’’
This year’s tournament begins on December 21, but FIFA’s circular means the continent's best players may not be released until a week before the tournament.
Premier League clubs like Liverpool, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, and Manchester United will no longer face sanctions if they decide to keep their players until December 15, 2025.
Tournament hosts Morocco could be forced to delay their pre-tournament camp, as up to 19 members of their team are currently playing in Europe.
Defending champions Ivory Coast are likely to be the worst hit, with up to 23 players plying their trade in Europe.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
5 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
5 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
5 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
5 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
5 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
6 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
6 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
6 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
6 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
6 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
6 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
7 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
7 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
7 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
7 hours