People across the continent are celebrating Africa Day.
The annual event commemorates the day when the Organisation of African Unity (OAU), the precursor of the African Union, was founded in Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa, in 1963.
In Zimbabwe, President Emmerson Mnangagwa will unveil a statue of Nehanda Charwe, popularly known as Mbuya Nehanda, who led the revolution in the 1800s.
#AfricaDay Main Event in Zimbabwe is the unveiling of the statue of the iconic spirit medium of Chihera Charwe of the Hwata the medium of the spirt of Nehanda, the driving force behind the War of Liberation by @edmnangagwa #MbuyaNehanda pic.twitter.com/qkoCjsmo3b— Nevanji (@NNehoreka) May 25, 2021
The African Union has been sharing interesting facts about each of the 55 member states.
In Cameroon, the union has highlighted the inventions of a young man who is improving access to health services in the country.
Its #AfricaDay and today we share some interesting facts from our 55 Member States #Cameroon— African Union (@_AfricanUnion) May 25, 2021
In his message, South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa emphasised the need for the sovereignty of African nations.
“As African countries, we want to help ourselves and not be told what is good for us. The principle of ‘nothing about us without us’ should be applied,” he wrote.
- ‘Do I look like a fraudster?’ – Shatta Wale reacts to calls for FBI probe over his affiliation with Hajia4Reall
- Barker-Vormawor refuses to state his plea as he is slapped with fresh Treason charges
- I paid GH₵30,000 to fix my body – TikToker Aba Dope
- Gyakye Quayson to contest Assin North seat again in June 27 by-election
- Gyakye Quayson can vie for Assin North seat; it’s a calculated risk – Amaliba
- 7 reported dead, several others injured in renewed Gonja – Mamprusi clash
- ‘It’s disappointing’ – Bofoakwa Tano coach on not being able to lead the team in Ghana Premier League
- Assin North by-election: NPP closes nomination as two persons pick forms
- Gonja-Mamprusi clash: Security personnel deployed to restore calm
- Two villages in North Gonja burnt down in renewed violence between Mamprusi and Gonja
- AfDB appoints Richard Kwaku Ofori-Mante Acting Director of Agricultural Finance and Rural Development
- Education Minister cuts sod for TVET facility at Manso Nkwanta
- Chief, Pastor held over murder of student nurse in Mankessim face fresh charges
- Ghana Health Service launches mass drug administration
- Zambia’s state house clarifies row over handbags
- Latif Abubakar, Spanish Embassy thrills audience, makes history
- Boy who struggled to eat or speak due to tumour receives transformational surgery in Senegal
- Be the change you wish to see – Director-General of Webster University charges graduates
- Unilever’s Nana Yaa Owusu-Ansah wins Ultimate Woman of the Year at FMCG Awards
- Allegiance could mean a lot of things aside from citizenship – Prof Asare
- ‘We look forward to achieving our goals’ – Tariq Lamptey on playing for Black Stars
- World Hunger Day: Government urged to encourage science, technology and innovation in agriculture
- Help end violence against alleged witches – Gender Minister appeals to chiefs
- The African Institute for Professional Excellence donates laptops to KNUST College of Health Sciences
- Mr Eazi to go bullish on tech investment as he visits Estonia