The Planting for Food and Jobs Secretariat under the Directorate of Agriculture of the Ahanta West Municipal Assembly (AWMA) has received 235 bags of certified seed of maize for farmers under the Initiative.
In addition, a total of 5,200 NPK and 400 Urea fertilizers have been supplied to 818 farmers of which 524 are males and 294 are females.
The Agricultural Extension Officers from the Directorate also visited some operational areas with the objective of assessing and monitoring the activities of farmers, sensitize them on best farming practices in the area of planting for Food and Jobs, control of fall armyworm, cassava multiplication, row planting, fertilizer application and zero tillage demonstrations.
The Assembly also provided vaccines and treatment against some animal diseases such as mange, Newcastle and rabies among others, treating in all 499 goats, 189 sheep, 47 pigs and 47 dogs.
Municipal Chief Executive Officer (MCE) of the AWMA, Henrietta Mary Eyison, announced this at the First Ordinary Meeting of the First Session of the Assembly.
She said, the Assembly and the Directorate of Agriculture in collaboration with SOLIDARIDAD trained about 1,000 oil palm farmers on Best Management Practices and distributed approximately 36,000 seedlings to 503 farmers to cultivate 500 acres of land.
According to her, agriculture was the backbone of the country’s economic development and for that matter the Assembly treated matters relating to agriculture with importance, hence the continuous investment in the sector.
Madam Eyison bemoaned that the Assembly had its activities, programmes and projects halted because of the stringent and restrictive measures put in place to curb the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic across the nation.
She added that though the challenges were rare, it did not relent on its effort to work in delivering quality services to the people of Ahanta West.
She pointed out that the Assembly showed its determination towards the support of the vulnerable in society as it made a disbursement of disability grants and working tools to 123 persons with disability (PWDs) in the Municipality.
She said plans were far advanced for the distribution of the second batch of disability grant for persons living with disability and urged Members of the Assembly to support the disbursement team on arrival at their various communities.
Touching on LEAP disbursement, she said the Unit embarked on its 65th and 66th cycles and payments were made to 580 households out of which 264 households received cash out amounting to GHC 48, 576 from the Assembly while others were paid by associated financial institutions.
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Attorney General asks Speaker to declare Assin North seat vacant
- Cattle and sheep easier to control than Nigerians – Buhari
- Legon Cities drag Hearts of Oak into relegation dogfight
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Eastern Region: FDA steps up training for packaged water producers
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- UK Minister commits to supporting green finance across Africa
- Cues and Lyrics: TM Musiq adjudged judges’ favourite; Udiene goes home
- Prohibition of dividend payments by banks could last for 2 years – Senior Finance Lecturer
- ‘Let’s deepen TVET training to create employment’ – Ignatius Baffour Awuah
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- JUSAG suspends strike for 2 weeks
- ‘Kyenkyen bi adi me awu’; one of Ghana’s most sampled songs
- MTN proposes new shares in dividend payment to shareholders for 2022 profits
- NPP flagbearer race: Ignore the sponsored polls – Afriyie Akoto to his supporters
- Burna Boy performs with Black Sherif at Afro Nation Miami
- Ghanaians should not have any huge expectations of President Akufo-Addo – Haruna Iddrisu
- Brig. Gen. Dan Frimpong (Rtd): I am going to prison on Wednesday!
- Pursue aggressive fiscal reforms in the 2023 mid-year budget – Terkper to government