Arsenal fans might’ve expected the likes of Sead Kolasinac, Lucas Torreira, and Matteo Guendouzi to leave today – but not this man.
Beloved mascot Gunnersaurus has fallen victim to Arsenal’s cost-cutting.
The dinosaur has been a permanent fixture at home games since 1993 but has been let go as the role is deemed no longer necessary.
An absence of fans at games has impacted revenue on matchdays and Gunnersaurus joins 55 other redundancies in north London.
In August, Arsenal announced the decision to make job cuts as they looked to streamline due to the coronavirus pandemic, but the club insist the mascot will return, according to The Athletic.
Jerry Quy, who played the role of Gunnersauraus, is hugely popular at Arsenal having also been involved in the Junior Gunners and Travel Club.
He has been inside the costume since it was created in 1993.
He has stayed true to his role during lockdown, posting a series of ‘Gunnersaurus at home’ posts on social media.
In an update shared with his Twitter followers, Gunnersaurus revealed he had been ironing, gardening, and watching Bargain Hunt after being forced into self-isolation due to Mikel Arteta’s positive COVID test in March.
He wrote: “Hope everyone is well. I’ve been keeping busy. Just enjoyed a spot of gardening this morning.
“I’ll get a few shirts done before Bargain Hunt later.”
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- 9 Nigerians arrested for illegally entering Ghana after crossing Volta River
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kumbour
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- Former NSMQ contestant, Francis Tetteh reported dead
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- Set aside 90-day jail term and fine me – Poloo to High Court
- Fire razes over 30 shops at Kumasi Central Market
Ghana’s Policy Rate of 14.5% still among highest in Africa
Singer Stone Gee supports Akuapem Poloo’s son
Ghana will find it expensive to borrow – Moody’s
European Super League created to ‘save football’ – Real Madrid president Florentino Perez
49 passengers on India-Hong Kong flight test positive for Covid
Access Bank partners with ScaleUp Africa to boost women’s empowerment, innovation and entrepreneurship
It’s shocking people still put a ‘premium’ on money to win elections – Kunbuor
Community Radio told off by Ofcom for playing ‘sexual moaning’ song at 8:20 am
Former US Vice President Walter Mondale dies at 93
Worawora Government Hospital calls for more blood donors
Thousands of Covid vaccines expire in South Sudan
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Quality healthcare at Upper West Regional Hospital impeded over lack of food supply
‘NDC not at crossroads but we are at a point where the roads are likely to cross’ – Kunbuor
Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor