Ghana’s all-time top scorer, Asamoah Gyan, says he is keen on playing for the Black Stars at the 2022 FIFA World Cup to be staged in Qatar.
Gyan’s last appearance for the country was during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations game against Tunisia and despite the long absence from the national team, the player is yet to retire from international football.
The 36-year-old’s last competitive season came during the 202/21 Ghana Premier League season where he featured five times for Legon Cities.
In an interview with BBC’s John Bennett, Gyan admitted he is not fully fit at the moment and is working hard to be in a good shape.
“Anything can happen, it has happened before back in 1994 when Roger Milla came back from retirement to play in the World Cup,” he said.
”But I haven’t retired yet, I haven’t announced my retirement, I have been out for almost two years now due to injuries and my body shutting down.
“I just need to get my body back in shape, so I have started training of course and I’ll see how my body reacts to playing competitive football.
“Talent wise, everything is there already, so I just have to prepare physically and then we’ll see what happens.”
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Government using IMF as smokescreen to force its ‘austerity budget’ on Ghanaians – Martin Amidu
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- WHO alert over India-made cough syrups after deaths in The Gambia
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System
- Midweek performance wrap of Ghanaian players in Europe
- Exhibit customer-centric services in your daily operations – British Council to organisations
- Government consciously shielding main culprit in Bulgarian Embassy demolition – Ablakwa
- ‘I’m fed up’ – aspiring NDC chairman backs calls to oust incumbent Ofosu Ampofo, Asiedu Nketia
- One dead in Tetegu floods
- #BigBrotherNaija records over 19m tweets by fans￼
- Uganda president apologises for son’s tweets on invading Kenya
- Illegal mining very endemic in Bosome Freho district – Lands Ministry
- US to begin screening travellers coming from Uganda for Ebola
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation