Audio By Carbonatix
At least 50 people have been killed by bandits in attacks on five communities in Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina State.
Dozens of bandits are reported to have attacked the communities of Kadisau, Kabalawa, Kwakware, Unguwar Wahabi, and Raudama on Tuesday, June 9, 2020, according to The Guardian.
It is said, the bandits attacked the people of Kadisau in the evening when residents were preparing for prayers and killed about 30 of them.
The bandits set houses and food stores on fire, and also stole domestic animals including cows, goats, and sheep.
They also reportedly raped several women in the area, according to a source that spoke to The Guardian.
The attacks happened just hours after youths in Yantumaki village in Katsina protested the incessant attacks on their community.
The protesters burned posters of President Muhammadu Buhari, a native of Katsina, and demanded that the government does more to protect their lives and property.
After a meeting with Katsina State governor, Aminu Bello Masari, last week, Buhari assured him and residents of the state that bandits will not be spared.
He said more decisive military operations will be undertaken against bandits in Katsina and other troubled states including Zamfara, Sokoto, Niger, and Kaduna.
"President Buhari warned bandits to surrender their weapons, or face 'disgraceful and violent ends'," a statement by the presidency read.
Members of the House of Representatives, debating attacks in other parts of the country on Wednesday, June 10, advocated for Nigerians to legally bear arms so as to be able to protect themselves against criminal elements.
The lawmakers expressed their low confidence in the ability of security operatives in the country to protect Nigerian lives and property.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
11 minutes -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
19 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
28 minutes -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
38 minutes -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
39 minutes -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
51 minutes -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
58 minutes -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
1 hour -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
1 hour -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
1 hour -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
2 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
2 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
2 hours -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
2 hours -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
2 hours