Audio By Carbonatix
Senior Presidential Staffer Rosemond Obeng has said that the Mahama administration’s anti-corruption drive is not driven solely by the recovery of stolen funds but is equally focused on securing convictions.
Speaking on JoyNews’ AM Show on Tuesday, December 30, Ms Obeng explained that while recovering public funds remains important, the Attorney-General’s approach shows a clear determination to ensure alleged offenders face trial and possible punishment.
According to her, the Attorney-General recently revealed that a suspect had offered to pay about GH¢22 million to settle a case, but the state insisted on pursuing prosecution instead.
“The style of the Attorney-General, he’s looking more like conviction,” she said.
“Somebody wanted to pay about 22 million Ghana cedis for a crime they committed, but he wants the person to go to trial. So I think it’s a bit intertwined; it will differ from case to case. However, we are interested in making sure that Ghanaians get the justice they are seeking so much, and that corporates are also punished.”
Ms Obeng noted that the government’s flagship anti-corruption initiative, Operation Recover All Loot (ORAL), has already exposed significant wrongdoing, even though the public may be impatient to see swift prosecutions.
She acknowledged growing calls for arrests and convictions but stressed that justice is a process that must follow due procedure, particularly given the complexity and scale of some of the cases uncovered.
“For this government, people are expecting to see people behind bars. We promised that those who looted state resources would face justice, and we are on course,” she said, adding that ORAL has been instrumental in uncovering unexplained wealth and abuse of public office.
Ms Obeng rejected suggestions that the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) exaggerated its campaign promises on accountability, insisting that investigations have so far only scratched the surface of alleged corruption.
She urged the public to exercise patience, assuring that more cases are expected to reach the courts in the coming months, with the ultimate goal of ensuring accountability, recovery of stolen funds, and punishment for wrongdoing.
Latest Stories
-
Bali jails Swiss tourist for insulting sacred Day of Silence
14 minutes -
Walmart sales under strain as US shoppers pull back
4 hours -
The Premier League’s new plan to end corner chaos
4 hours -
US Open offers biggest prize fund in Grand Slam history
5 hours -
‘I feel I am imprisoning myself’ – Djokovic on drive & doubts
5 hours -
India’s Gen Z are driving up a mega boom in its beauty market
5 hours -
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
5 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
5 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
6 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
6 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
6 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
6 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
6 hours