Audio By Carbonatix
Senegal is in discussion with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to take corrective measures after an audit revealed that its debt and budget deficit were much wider than the previous administration had reported, the country's economy minister said on Thursday.
Abdourahmane Sarr said that an audit of Senegal's finances ordered by newly elected president Bassirou Diomaye Faye, showed the deficit at the end of 2023 stood at over 10% compared with around 5% the previous government had reported.
"The authorities we replaced lied to the country and lied to partners, falsifying figures," Senegal's Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko, said during the government news conference on Thursday.
Faye, who was swept into power in a landslide election victory in April amid public anger against the previous administration of former president Macky Sall, had promised audits into the previous government's handling of affairs.
Sarr told the press conference that as a consequence of the false numbers that the previous authorities had reported, Faye's government decided not to table Senegal's request for an IMF disbursement in July following the fund's review in June.
The fund had approved a three-year $1.8 billion credit facility in June last year and the West African nation was expected to receive some disbursement from the facility after the review.
"An examination of Senegal's dossier based on false numbers would have led to what is known as misreporting to the IMF," Sarr told the press conference, adding that any IMF disbursement based on misreporting would have to be reimbursed, and corrective measures taken.
"IMF has been informed and Senegal is in discussion with the IMF on corrective measures to be taken either on the current IMF programme or on a separate programme to be negotiated with the IMF as soon as possible," he added.
The IMF did not immediately respond to a request for comments.
Latest Stories
-
World Cup reality check: Mexico outclass Ghana with 2-0 win in Puebla friendly
40 minutes -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
60 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
2 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
2 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
4 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
5 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
5 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
6 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
6 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
7 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
7 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
7 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
7 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
7 hours