The Birim Central Municipality of the Eastern Region has recorded its first two positive cases of the novel coronavirus disease, bringing the number of the total in the Region to 96.
Giving details, the Birim Central Municipal Director of Health Service, James Avoka revealed that the first patient is an elderly man who escaped Akwatia, in the Denkyembour district, to hide at Akyem Aboabo.
He was later discovered and taken to an isolation centre by the security personnel in the municipality.
Dr Avoka added that contact tracing has identified five persons who have been isolated as they wait for their results from the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR).
Speaking to Adom News’ Kwasi Azor, the Municipal’s Health Director noted that the Municipal Public Health Emergency Management Committee is set to meet market queens in Akyem Oda for a final decision on the need to practice social distancing at various markets in the municipality.
He indicated that the Assembly and the health directorate will be forced to close down the markets with immediate effect should they defy the directives.
“It seems the social distancing directive is not working very well for us, so we may try to close down the markets for now.
“But we are putting measures in place to ensure that they observe the social distancing and use face masks including all the precautionary measures that have been put in place,” he said.
Some residents of Akyem Oda expressed worry and promised to abide by the precautionary measures to help eradicate the virus in the area.
- World Cup 2022: Cristiano Ronaldo a ‘total genius’ for winning Portugal penalty – Fifa
- BoG pegs cedi depreciation to dollar at 54%
- Bawumia launches $450m Gulf of Guinea Social Cohesion Project
- Bright Simons: Ghana’s 2023 Budget: A missed opportunity
- Ghana’s reserves fall to 2.9 months of import cover in October 2022; trade surplus hits $1.87bn
- HITZ Old Skuuls Reunion: Outdoor games get old students at the edge of their seats
- I hope Afriyie Barnieh will be used in one of the games at the World Cup – Hearts of Oak General Manager
- Messi scores in vital Argentina win over Mexico
- Photos and videos: Artistes thrill patrons at HITZ Skuuls Reunion
- Government promises more support to Ghana Police
- 2022 World Cup: We didn’t ‘over-respect’ Portugal – Otto Addo
- Take tough decisions in life – GNPC boss to Presec Legon students
- Kelvin Tutu talks accountability in new single, ‘Fa kye’
- BOST MD emerges Petroleum CEO of the Year 2022
- 6th Ghana Energy Awards honours 31 individuals, companies
- 2022 World Cup: ‘Black Stars still have a big chance of making last 16’ – Otto Addo
- ‘We don’t want any mining activities on our land’ – Mampong Traditional Council insists
- How to let go of a married man, even if you still love him
- Otto Addo picks Germany as favourite to win World Cup
- My ex got married and I’m single and completely heartbroken
- WHO convenes Africa regional policy dialogue on investment and protection of health workforce
- 2022 World Cup: Otto Addo wary of Son Heung-min threat ahead of South Korea clash
- 2022 World Cup: ‘We will see a passionate Black Stars against South Korea – Otto Addo
- ‘It feels like it never left’ – Revitalised HITZ Skuul Reunion wins patrons’ hearts
- Equatorial Guinea: World’s longest-serving president to continue 43-year-rule