Audio By Carbonatix
Acting Chairman of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) has dismissed calls for Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa to be sacked after stating party members are his priority when it comes to job opportunities.
Freddie Blay says people have given their own interpretation to George Ayisi Boateng’s comments and want to hang him for it.
“People make it look like this is a political issue...because of that, he has committed a gargantuan sin for that matter we must call for his head", he told Joy FM's Emefa Apawu Tuesday.
Addressing members of the student wing of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), the Tertiary Students’ Confederacy Network (TESCON), in Kumasi Mr Ayisi Boateng said;
“This government is doing its best to create job opportunities and me for instance, I told my people over there [that], it is because of NPP that I’m here, so the NPP man is my priority".
He explained that it is by dint of the hard work of party loyalists that put the party back in power after eight years in opposition.
His comments has attracted condemnations in sections of the public with some people calling for him to resign or be sacked. But he is also getting some support from his party members.
Freddie Blay becomes the highest profile party leader to weigh into the controversy 24 hours after it was first reported in the media.
According to him, the National Democratic Congress (NDC) lacks the moral authority to comment on the matter saying it is the height of hypocrisy to cry discrimination.

North Tongu MP, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa
“The Constitution was not promulgated when the NPP is in power but it started applying in 1992 but the NDC conveniently forgot about it,” he said in reference to Chapter six of the Constitution.
“NDC does not respect it but they are the last people to be on the rooftops shouting it,” he said challenging the Minority in Parliament to bring the issue up for the NPP will face them squarely.
But Minority MP for North Tongu and member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said they are contemplating their options for action to be taken against Mr Ayisi Boateng.
“This is a matter that we need to proceed on the basis of principle and truth…I don’t believe this is a matter of interpretation…it is as clear as daylight what His Excellency Ayisi Boateng said.
“This is reckless, reprehensible, irresponsible and unconstitutional. Article 17 of the 1992 Constitutions is clear about discrimination,” the former Deputy Education Minister said.
According to him, the Minority would want to hear from government because so far all those speaking are party functionaries.
“Now the ball is in the court of President Akufo-Addo to let Ghanaians know if these are the marching orders he gave to his Ambassadors,” adding the attitude of Ayisi Boateng despite the condemnation calls for action fro the top.
He said it is worrying that so far government is yet to break its silence on the issue adding the Minority have a number of options and will consider them if government fails to act.
Adding his voice to the calls, an international relations expert, Dr Yao Gebe said he expects to hear from President Akufo-Addo in the next three days.
He challenged the President to act and give meaning to the promises he made on his inauguration else people will give a different meaning to his what he said.
According to him, the President should act quickly and state the position of government, disassociate itself from what the High Commissioner has said and dismiss him.
Latest Stories
-
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
9 minutes -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
10 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
14 minutes -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
16 minutes -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
16 minutes -
Tanker drivers begin three-day strike over alleged fuel measurement inaccuracies at BOST Kumasi
17 minutes -
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
19 minutes -
Greater Manchester NDC UK branch elects new executives
19 minutes -
Ghana’s anti-corruption fight has stagnated— Transparency International
24 minutes -
UMB, ORC partner to make business registration easier for entrepreneurs
28 minutes -
Cedi is ‘long overdue for a refresh’ – Mahama
30 minutes -
GenCED urges NPP to extend 50% nomination fee reduction to women, youth and PWDs
35 minutes -
The source of cedi appreciation matters more than the appreciation itself
42 minutes -
Ashanti cocoa farmers welcome new COCOBOD Bill, back key reforms
45 minutes -
‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin
46 minutes