Audio By Carbonatix
Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli has been given a one-match ban by the Football Association as punishment for his Super Mario post on social media.
The Italian, whose suspension rules him out of Sunday's home game against Arsenal, has also been fined £25,000 and must attend an education course.
The 24-year-old was charged under FA rule E3(1) for a post which appeared to contain anti-Semitic and racist references.
Balotelli had accepted the charge but wrote to the FA in mitigation.
After learning of his punishment, he wrote on his official Facebook page that the FA's decision "made clear" that his post had been "wrong".
He added: "I am sorry that my team-mates and supporters of Liverpool FC have to be penalised for something I did and now come to regret. It is my intention to comply with the decision of the FA and make sure it never happens again."
A Liverpool spokesman said: "The club acknowledges the decision reached by the FA independent panel and due consideration will be given to the written judgement once we receive it from the FA.
"Any further action taken by ourselves in relation to this matter is between the club and player."
Former Manchester City forward Balotelli reposted an image of computer game character Super Mario on Instagram which included the words "jumps like a black man and grabs coins like a Jew."
He later tweeted to deny the post was offensive, before apologising.
Balotelli returned to the Liverpool squad forSunday's defeat by Manchester United at Old Trafford after six games out with a groin problem.
But he was not involved in Wednesday's League Cup win at Bournemouth.
He has scored two goals in his 15 appearances for the club since signing from AC Milan in the summer.
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
35 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
48 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
49 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 hour -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
1 hour -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
1 hour -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
4 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
5 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
5 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
5 hours