Audio By Carbonatix
Former badminton world number one Lee Chong Wei is hoping to be back on court for the start of the 2016 Olympic qualifiers in May after finally being given an April date for a hearing into his failed dope test.
The Malaysian was provisionally suspended last year by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) after traces of the banned anti-inflammatory drug dexamethasone were found in his system during the world championships in Denmark.
Lee's case will be heard by a three-member panel in Amsterdam on April 11 with Malaysia's leading sportsman facing a two-year ban if found guilty.
That would all but end an impressive career, which includes 55 titles and two Olympic silver medals, but the 32-year-old was confident of being cleared and returning to the courts soon.
"The last five months have been difficult. I've been down with injuries in my career before but I'm still struggling to come to terms with the fact that I've failed a dope test," Lee was quoted as saying by Malaysian media on Wednesday.
"The wait has been a mental anguish. It was supposed to be in December but was moved. Since then, it has just been a case of waiting and waiting.
"Hopefully, it'll be all over soon. I'm waiting for positive news. The Olympic qualifying period starts on May 1 and I hope to be cleared by then."
Latest Stories
-
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
33 minutes -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
36 minutes -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
50 minutes -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
1 hour -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
1 hour -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
2 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
2 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
2 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
2 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
2 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
2 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
2 hours -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
2 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
2 hours