Audio By Carbonatix
Paris St-Germain have signed 18-year-old Barcelona midfielder Dro Fernandez, with the Spanish side's president calling the transfer situation "unpleasant".
According to Spanish media, PSG have paid 8.2m euros (£7.1m) for Fernandez - a fee higher than his 6m euros (£5.2m) release clause - in a bid to maintain good relations between the clubs.
The Spanish midfielder's departure has been controversial, as he was expected to sign a new contract at Barcelona.
But he has now completed a move to PSG on a deal until 2030.
"It has been an unpleasant situation," Barca president Joan Laporta told Catalunya Radio.
"It came as a surprise because we had agreed on a different solution for when he turned 18.
"Surprisingly, his representative told us he couldn't follow through on what we'd agreed to."
Fernandez joined Barcelona's La Masia academy in 2022 and has made five senior appearances since his debut in September, including in the Champions League against Olympiacos.
PSG said the signing was "fully in line with the club's sporting strategy, which is heavily focused on youth and talent".
Fernandez said his move was a "moment of huge pride" and PSG was "a massive club that I've followed since I was a child and where some great legends have made history".
In a separate post on Instagram, he wrote: "After nearly four unforgettable seasons, today I have to make one of the most difficult decisions of my life: saying goodbye to the club that has been my home in recent years."
Asked about Fernandez's future earlier this month, Barca coach Hansi Flick said young players needed to "live for" the club and suggested the teenager would be making a mistake if he moved to France.
"We give them the opportunity to train with us, to grow, every day, with the best players in the world. We give them the opportunity, we give them the support, believe in them, the confidence," he said.
"If you want to play for Barca, then [do it] 100% with your whole heart.
"This is what I want to say to everyone who is now with us, or in the future with us, this must be 100%.
"These colours, you have to live for them, this is what I want to see. All the others I don't want, this is what I can say.
"Sometimes you do not agree with what they are doing, but they are 18, they are old enough to make the decisions, they have people around them."
Latest Stories
-
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
34 minutes -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
1 hour -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
2 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
2 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
2 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
4 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
4 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
4 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
4 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
5 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
5 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
5 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
5 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
6 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
6 hours