Billboard has compiled a list of artistes across 11 African countries whose content on YouTube gained a lot of views in 2019.
The list dubbed ‘The most-watched homegrown artists across Africa’ sought to unearth the top five artistes in 2019 some countries including Nigeria, Algeria and others based on their views.
For Ghana, the leading artiste was Dancehall artiste Shatta Wale. He led the list with 13.26 million views. Billboard attributed his lead to his 2019 and 2018 albums Wonder Boy and Reign respectively.
“The country’s two biggest political parties have used his songs in campaigns; his 2018 album, Reign, hit No. 6 on Billboard’s Top World Albums chart; and in April, he organized the online Faith Concert to cheer up fellow Ghanaians during the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Shatta Wale’s hit song ‘Taking Over’ which featured his militants was added to his profile. The video which was released in 2017 currently has about 12 million views
‘Adonai’ currently has 72 million views.
With 7.86 million views, Stonebwoy comes in at number three.
The artiste’s hit song ‘Ololo’ featuring Teni released in September 2019 and currently has 5.8 million views was attached to his profile.
As the only female on the list, Diana Hamilton came in fourth. According to Billboard, she had garnered about 6.42 million YouTube views.
Her song Mo Ne Yo (Well Done) released in August 2018 was linked to her profile. The song currently has 8.6 million views.
Takoradi based artiste Kofi Kinaata came in fifth with 4.63 million views for the year 2019.
His hit song ‘Susuka‘ released in 2015 with about 5.3 million views was linked to his profile.
- Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
- NSMQ 2021: 3-man Sandema SHTS team without supporters, books place in final U/E qualifiers
- #FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
- EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
- Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
- 20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
- Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
May 9 stadium disaster: Persons With Disabilities join in 20th anniversary celebration
#FixTheCountry: Injunction obtained by police was in order – Attorney General
Asantehene marks 71st birthday with May 9 remembrance
Some of the taxes imposed on citizens are a nuisance – Kofi Bentil
Pastor Allen Caiquo releases ‘Finally’ ahead of ‘Priest & King’ EP
#FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
Blaq Jerzee recruits Marioo, Eddy Kenzo on ’Sokoma’ track
13 types of guys who stay single and don’t ever find lasting love
Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
Neymar signs new Paris St-Germain contract
National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
Doubts over venue for Champions League final between Chelsea and Man City as Turkey added to red list
Covid-19: GHS Director of Health Promotion advises against #FixTheCountry demonstration