Rita Aku Shika Diabah and Ruth Medufia are two Ghanaian entrepreneurs in Takoradi making women proud not just in Ghana, but worldwide through their determination and perseverance to reach the top in their business.
Ruth, 27-year-old metal fabricator was among the BBC 100 women in 2018; a list of 100 inspiring and influential women from around the world. Ranging in age from 15 to 94, and from more than 60 countries, the BBC 100 Women list includes leaders, trailblazers and everyday heroes.
Ruth through the Youth Inclusive Entrepreneurial Development Initiative for Employment (YIEDIE, implemented Global Communities in partnership with Mastercard Foundation) was recognized as a trailblazer with her determination to succeed as a female welder.
Despite the initial resistance by her family to pursue her dreams of being a welder, Ruth excelled in her profession and will soon run her own business.
Rita Aku Shika Diabah, mother of four, wife and CEO of Yesli Ice is also another trailblazer who is paying deaf ears to negative comments. Her company Yesli
Ice received the award for the Company of the Future at the 2018 Ghana club 100 awards, through live public voting, Yesli Ice won.
To fulfil her family duties, Aku Shika moved from the Greater Accra region to the Western region to join her husband in Takoradi. This meant, abandoning her well-paying job as an executive of a Canadian company.
Despite negative and discouraging comments from critics, Aku Shika has managed to move on and is not stopping at her opening her factory soon.
Neglecting her potential career in accounting and defying her family, Aku Shika and Ruth are aiming for the stars.
Watch video below:
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Banking crises: We are out of the woods –Stanbic’s Alhassan Andani
- Why the economy grows but jobs are not – Stanbic MD has answers
- Gold gains to near highest since 2013
- African Engineers converge in Tunis for conference on Food Security
- CBG pays out GH¢2bn to depositors, MFIs from bonds
- 'Solar is cheap, don’t be deterred by upfront cost'
- Consolidated Bank launches ‘We Stand With You’ tagline to affirm brand promise
- Absa named Africa’s Best Investment Bank
- 2nd Women in Tourism summit launched
- Allianz Ghana launches micro-insurance policies for informal sector
- Group CEO of Special Investment is 2019 EMY Africa Man of the Year
- Former Barclays chief John Varley cleared of fraud charges
- ACEP okays upward adjustment in electricity tariffs
- Law barring foreigners from retail trade unenforceable – Lawyer
- Suame Magazine: Police beef up security as Nigerian traders resume business