Rita Aku Shika Diabah and Ruth Medufia are two Ghanaian entrepreneurs in Takoradi making women proud not just in Ghana, but worldwide through their determination and perseverance to reach the top in their business.
Ruth, 27-year-old metal fabricator was among the BBC 100 women in 2018; a list of 100 inspiring and influential women from around the world. Ranging in age from 15 to 94, and from more than 60 countries, the BBC 100 Women list includes leaders, trailblazers and everyday heroes.
Ruth through the Youth Inclusive Entrepreneurial Development Initiative for Employment (YIEDIE, implemented Global Communities in partnership with Mastercard Foundation) was recognized as a trailblazer with her determination to succeed as a female welder.
Despite the initial resistance by her family to pursue her dreams of being a welder, Ruth excelled in her profession and will soon run her own business.
Rita Aku Shika Diabah, mother of four, wife and CEO of Yesli Ice is also another trailblazer who is paying deaf ears to negative comments. Her company Yesli
Ice received the award for the Company of the Future at the 2018 Ghana club 100 awards, through live public voting, Yesli Ice won.
To fulfil her family duties, Aku Shika moved from the Greater Accra region to the Western region to join her husband in Takoradi. This meant, abandoning her well-paying job as an executive of a Canadian company.
Despite negative and discouraging comments from critics, Aku Shika has managed to move on and is not stopping at her opening her factory soon.
Neglecting her potential career in accounting and defying her family, Aku Shika and Ruth are aiming for the stars.
Watch video below:
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Bill Gates: The best investment I’ve ever made
- Mining leases without ratification: ‘Prosecute’ past ministers – Dr Manteaw
- Vodafone tops nominations for IPR's 7th National Communication & PR Awards
- Key African Central Banks to hold rates on CPI, oil prices
- China's growth set to slow to 6.3% in 2019
- GRA to introduce new measure to control transit trading
- Moody’s lauds banking sector reforms
- Tullow targets drilling, completion of works on new wells in this year
- Ghanaian-Lebanese appointed CEO of MTN Afghanistan
- GUTA confident of possible reduction in import duties
- Tunisia Trade Mission targets Ghana as strategic point of investment
- Tullow raises 2019 oil output forecast
- The gov't that did not see ¢30bn unreported gold leave Ghana
- Unilever Ghana unveils new manufacturing plants in Tema
- Global debt hits $244 trillion