Rita Aku Shika Diabah and Ruth Medufia are two Ghanaian entrepreneurs in Takoradi making women proud not just in Ghana, but worldwide through their determination and perseverance to reach the top in their business.
Ruth, 27-year-old metal fabricator was among the BBC 100 women in 2018; a list of 100 inspiring and influential women from around the world. Ranging in age from 15 to 94, and from more than 60 countries, the BBC 100 Women list includes leaders, trailblazers and everyday heroes.
Ruth through the Youth Inclusive Entrepreneurial Development Initiative for Employment (YIEDIE, implemented Global Communities in partnership with Mastercard Foundation) was recognized as a trailblazer with her determination to succeed as a female welder.
Despite the initial resistance by her family to pursue her dreams of being a welder, Ruth excelled in her profession and will soon run her own business.
Rita Aku Shika Diabah, mother of four, wife and CEO of Yesli Ice is also another trailblazer who is paying deaf ears to negative comments. Her company Yesli
Ice received the award for the Company of the Future at the 2018 Ghana club 100 awards, through live public voting, Yesli Ice won.
To fulfil her family duties, Aku Shika moved from the Greater Accra region to the Western region to join her husband in Takoradi. This meant, abandoning her well-paying job as an executive of a Canadian company.
Despite negative and discouraging comments from critics, Aku Shika has managed to move on and is not stopping at her opening her factory soon.
Neglecting her potential career in accounting and defying her family, Aku Shika and Ruth are aiming for the stars.
Watch video below:
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Tony Elumelu Foundation to announce selected entrepreneurs for 2019 programme
- RE: Telcos asked to stop sale of sim cards on the streets
- MTN Ghana enhances data experience for customers with 4G+ service
- Nothing in life happens by chance – MTN boss tells youth
- Ghana benefiting from hedged gold prices
- Cedi records marginal appreciation against dollar after weeks of sustained depreciation
- Huawei defies global troubles with accelerating sales growth
- Gov’t urged to introduce legislation to regulate social enterprising
- Christian businessmen can stick to Godly principles and still be successful – T.D Jakes
- Telcos asked to stop sale of sim cards on the streets
- 1D1F: Petersfield & Rey, CASA de Ropa start production
- Cabinet approves Downstream Petroleum Policy
- Gov’t receives €40m grant to promote investments, job creation
- Dutch businesses explore investment opportunities in Ghana’s horticulture sector
- COCOBOD money not solution to free falling cedi – Bentil