Audio By Carbonatix
The prosecution of the CEO of defunct Menzgold, Nana Appiah Mensah, also known as NAM 1, says it is still waiting for advice from the Attorney-General’s Department towards the commencement of the trial.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sylvester Asare, told an Accra Circuit Court, presided over by Ellen Asamoah, that the advice would enable them to proceed on the matter.
“When the advice is ready, we will issue a hearing notice to the accused person to appear,” he said.
The Court, consequently, adjourned the case to Monday, September 07, at the request of the Prosecution.
When the case was last called on Tuesday, June 23, the State filed new charges against NAM 1.
It, therefore, asked the Court not to take his plea as there would be further instructions.
NAM 1’s lawyers have, however, pleaded with the Court to expedite the process for their client.
NAM 1, with some of his some of his family members, who are at large, is currently facing 63 counts for money laundering, stealing and taking deposits without authority.
The Circuit Court on July 26, last year granted him bail in the sum of one billion cedis with five sureties, three to be justified.
He had pleaded not guilty to all initial 13 charges levelled against him by the State.
NAM 1 was initially charged with abetment of crime, defrauding by false pretences, carrying on a deposit-taking business without licence, sale of minerals without licence, unlawful deposit taking, and money laundering.
He has reportedly taken various sums of money, totalling GHC1.6 billion from customers.
Latest Stories
-
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
3 minutes -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
4 minutes -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
12 minutes -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
17 minutes -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
22 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
39 minutes -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
43 minutes -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
48 minutes -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
49 minutes -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
50 minutes -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
1 hour -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
1 hour -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
2 hours -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
2 hours
