With our changing weather patterns, the rains can come at any time and drivers usually find it hard to drive when that happens.
This is one of the factors that cause road accidents and it is very necessary to address this issue and find ways to prevent road accident during a rainy weather.
As part of Joy FM’s Drive safe campaign to fight road accidents, these are some key measures every driver should be aware of when driving in the rains.
- Wiper blades must be soft and must be able to clean so well. They must be changed at least every three months.
In the case where you do not have a very good view of the road it is advisable to park the car until you can see the road clearly.
- The tires of car must in good shape. Thread limit must not be less than 1.6 mm because in driving we have something called aquaplaning.
Water must ooze out in-between the threads and then the tire must always be dry so that its contacts can have a breaking effect on the road depending on the type of road, because when it is asphalt it is much better.
- Take your time whiles driving. Naturally when you drive in the rain the road becomes slippery.
The riskiest part of the rain is that, when it is drizzling it is rather very dangerous because the roads become very slippery.
Do not rush to your destination, that is why it is usually advisable to be patient and wait for the rains to be down before you move the vehicle.
If the rain is very heavy and you are driving, you will never know which tree is going to break down.
- Turn your headlights on to be visible to other drivers. Never drive with the parking lights because they are meant for parking.
It is wrong to drive with parking lights when it is raining or even at night. The range of the headlights should be 40 meters.
- Keep a firm grip on the steering wheel when driving in the rain. You would need a lot of concentration when driving in the rain.
Radio must be off to listen to the sound of your vehicle. Give yourself more space, meaning that you add either one or two extra seconds of concentration because you may never know what is ahead of you.
Keep in mind that there is a vehicle ahead of you and so you must drive at a slow speed.
Other measures to consider when driving in the rain;
Never drive in floods because it is so tricky. Don’t think you have a 4×4 vehicle and so you can go through. When it is raining it is always dangerous to drive when you see deep water.
Tap breaks for a while when driving in the rain to make sure the brake disc is dry and to also warn other vehicles driving behind you.
- Free SHS: Uncompleted structures converted to classrooms at Prempeh College
- Saglemi contractor was paid $179m for $64m work – Attorney-General
- Accra-Tema motorway to experience 21-day disruption to traffic flow beginning Aug 1
- We’re initiators of ¢100 National Cathedral donation campaign, not government – Secretariat
- She circulated my nudes because I refused to break up with ‘our’ boyfriend
- Take time off your schedules for a vacation – Palmer-Buckle tells academics
- National Cathedral to cost about $200m – Secretary for Board of Trustees
- Corrupt heads of public institutions should not go scotfree – Haruna Iddrissu to Special Prosecutor
- Kwame Asiedu Sarpong: Unpacking the confusion surrounding testing outcomes at KIA
- Aunt arrested after niece and nephew’s bodies found in her car, police say
Manchester City make £100m bid for Aston Villa midfielder, Jack Grealish
Claims about cause of African leaders’ deaths debunked
Twitter news and updates in July – In case you missed them
Gunmen attack funeral of Hezbollah commander in Lebanon
Ghana will not default in repaying debt; but classified as highly debt distress country – IMF
She circulated my nudes because I refused to break up with ‘our’ boyfriend
‘I saw my 2-year-old carried by a man with a gun’
Ghana Youth Movement drives mental health campaign
GNECC launches school-based campaign to address stigma related to Covid-19
Youth advised to be mindful of available employment opportunities when making career choices
NUGS appeals to UTAG, SSA-UoG to call off strike
Today’s frontpages: Monday, August 2, 2021
Speaker of Parliament admits to having no right to amend GIPC Act– GUTA
Nutrifoods launches new pack design for its popular brand, Perk
50% Benchmark Value Reduction : GUTA accuses government of attempts to scrap policy