Audio By Carbonatix
The distribution of nomination forms for prospective contestants in polling station executive elections turned chaotic at the New Patriotic Party (NPP)’s Manhyia North constituency in the Ashanti Region.
The Sunday incident started when supporters protested a decision by the constituency executives to sell the forms to them when they had already been paid for by Benard Antwi Bosiako, the Ashanti Regional Chairman of the party.
Although the executives explained that Chairman Wontumi paid for 1000 forms to be given to incumbent polling station officers, the prospective polling station executives refused to accept this explanation.
“The Regional Chairman has paid for 1000 of the forms, and we have over 2000 forms, so mathematically, the new entrants are required to pay for theirs,” the constituency’s Election Committee Chairman, Yaw Geraldo, told Luv FM's, Kofi Asare.

But refusing to accept this explanation, the supporters massed up in front of the party office and demanded that the forms be given to them.
“How can we ‘Break the 8’ if these things keep happening. So we are pleading with you Nana Addo [sic] turn your eye to Manhyia North or else,” an agitated prospective applicant stated.
Another added, “If the forms are not given to us, there wouldn’t be any election at Manhyia North. It is not a threat, but we know what to do.”
In the thick of the tensions, the police intervened, but that did not stop the angry party members from finding alternative routes into the office to pick up their forms.
“Just because of polling station executive, see how tattered I look. Just because of this paper called forms, look at the state I am in, O God!” one supporter cried.

Conflicts have rocked some electoral areas as the governing NPP begins reorganising processes ahead of the 2024 general elections.
Although the election of polling station executives comes off next month, in some parts of the country, party members have accused their executives of hoarding the forms.
This includes Kwadaso in the Ashanti region, where some NPP members locked up the constituency chairman on Saturday.
Similar agitations transpired the same day in Akuapem South Municipality of the Eastern region and Ningo-Prampram in the Greater Accra region.

The latest debacle is the Manhyia North constituency.
In view of that, Mr Yaw Geraldo noted that the process in the area will be postponed to ensure that peace and order are restored before the application is reopened.
He also added that the disturbance will be investigated.
Meanwhile, the NPP’s Director of Elections and Research, Evans Nimako, has directed the election committees not to deny anyone the opportunity to contest.
Speaking on JoyNews’ The Probe, he said, “I am expecting that whoever has been nominated by the region, whoever the constituency chairman is, the individual will go by our rules and regulations for the conduct of this election.”
Latest Stories
-
This Saturday on Newsfile: Burkina Faso attack, Ofori-Atta off red notice and CJ’s petition dismissal
6 minutes -
Ghana Link dismisses ‘missing’ transit truck claims
14 minutes -
French soldier dies after being shot in the head during ‘game’ with other soldiers
15 minutes -
Urgent research needed to tackle AI threats, says Google AI boss
19 minutes -
Digital harassment against women MPs undermines democracy – GenCED
22 minutes -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
24 minutes -
Rare prison sentences handed to Cameroon soldiers after killing of 21 civilians
28 minutes -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
33 minutes -
Mamprobi Polyclinic baby theft: Mother of two remanded as prosecution alleges syndicate plot
40 minutes -
‘World Cup ticket isn’t a free pass’ – US Embassy warns Ghanaian fans against visa overstay
54 minutes -
Christian Council of Ghana calls for inclusive justice on World Day of Social Justice
56 minutes -
New Juaben South MCE visits family of victim of Burkina Faso attack
1 hour -
Cocoa farmers picket COCOBOD, accuse gov’t of betrayal over prices
1 hour -
Ban on non-ferrous scrap export to boost processed metal earnings by up to $300m annually – Mahama
1 hour -
US economy slows in final months after turbulent year
1 hour
