Audio By Carbonatix
Some residents of Chereponi in the North East Region are protesting the poor state of roads and dilapidated schools in the district.
The lack of motorable roads in the area has forced many farmers to illegally export soya beans and other grain-related products to neighbouring countries.
According to a spokesperson for the Anufor Students, Latif Alhassan, it is difficult for the pupils to learn in school blocks that have had their roofs ripped off by rainstorms.
He added that there are instances teachers refuse postings to the community and surrounding areas due to the bad state of the roads, among other security concerns.
“For some of the schools, before you even get to the street, you will cross a river. It’s a road but the way the rain has damaged it, you can’t cross, and when it rains, nobody can cross to those schools. They are within the Chereponi township and not in villages – you can’t even move from one house to another. They are all part of the challenges we are facing here.
"We have been raising them to the various stakeholders, trying our best to get solutions. If you look around all the four corners of Chereponi, we don’t have good roads. We have students in Chereponi who go to school in other districts and various communities but even the road from Chereponi to Yendi is not safe for children – armed robbers can attack them. Just yesterday, there was an attack on the road," he told JoyNews.
Meanwhile, the Member of Parliament for Chereponi, Tahidu Abdul-Razak, says he has filed an urgent question on the floor of Parliament to get the Roads and Highways Minister to provide a response to why the Yendi-Chereponi road has been abandoned.
“Fixing of the road is very paramount because without the road, we can’t have access to most of our needs. This is a farming season where farmers need to have access to their farms. Notwithstanding that, I have made moves to the Ministry and Presidency over the road issues.
"I have filed a question and it’s admitted; so, on Friday, I am going to ask the Minister of Roads reasons the contractors left site since December [2020] and in July last year," he noted.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana Card accepted at over 44 airports worldwide as a mode of identification – NIA boss
2 minutes -
Ghanaian midfielder Linda Owusu Ansah set to join AFC Toronto
15 minutes -
Grassroots sports development critical to Ghana Sports Fund vision – Yaw Ampofo-Ankrah
19 minutes -
Dr Emma Oliveira appointed Ghana Country Chair for Healthcare, Wellness, Insurance & Risk wing of Global G100 platform
23 minutes -
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
47 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
49 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
53 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
58 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
59 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
1 hour -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
1 hour -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
1 hour -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
1 hour -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
1 hour -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
1 hour