At least two children and a woman have drowned after a passenger boat capsized on Lake Kivu in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, regional government spokesman Claude Basila has been quoted by Reuters news agency as saying.
A total of 46 passengers had been rescued, while two were still missing, he added.
The overloaded boat had been traveling to the main city in eastern DR Congo, Goma, when it capsized overnight on Tuesday, Mr Basila said.
A survivor, Mubatiza Mukanirwa, told Reuters that his wife and children had drowned.
“It hurts so terribly,” he said.
Other survivors said the death toll was likely to be higher, as the boat was carrying between 100 and 250 passengers.
“A big wave knocked it over and there was nothing more but screams,” survivor Daniel Mutukura told Reuters.
Many people travel by boat in DR Congo because of a poor road and rail network
- 18-year-old woman dies during sex on wedding night
- Ghana ranked 2nd most peaceful country in Africa
- Until we empower Ghanaians legally, the law will serve the privileged – Prof. Atuguba
- Karela’s CAM Park banned indefinitely
- NDC demands CJ withdraws petition against Ayine at General Legal Council
- There appears to be selective justice in Ghana – Law student
- Ghana’s laws do not reflect reality – UG Law student
- 2021 Census: More than 8 million structures listed
- Full text: Asiedu Nketia’s speech on Chief Justice’s complaint against Dr Ayine at General Legal Council
- Playback: The Probe dissects 2021 Population and Housing Census
Swoop arrest is a knee-jerk reaction to insecurity challenges – Bombande
Ghana lucky to have you as president in Covid-19 era – Mamprusi Elders to Akufo-Addo
We’re sorry for violence at Anyinase – Karela supporters’ head
Man City make £100m bid for Tottenham striker Harry Kane
United States Africa Command commends Ghana for promoting sub-regional security
Revisit Community Policing policy- Bombande tells Police administration
So far, so good; Bawku appreciates your policies – Bawku Naba to Akufo-Addo
‘Only Heaven has no crimes’ comment was unnecessary – Security Analyst to IGP
Mastercard Foundation to deploy $1.3bn in partnership with Africa CDC to save lives and livelihoods
Vodafone Ghana Foundation marks World Sickle Cell Day with tree planting exercise
Increased demand paves way for expansion of Africa’s sugar industry
Bullion van attack: Arrest of 215 criminals in a swoop raises questions – Prof Aning
I think I would be a happier person if I never had kids
Agriculture Minister elected Chairman Of Ghana-Cote d’Ivoire Cocoa Initiative
Bolt celebrates Father’s Day by acknowledging their efforts