Audio By Carbonatix
Beijing has said it will loosen a chip export ban it imposed after Dutch authorities took over Nexperia - a Chinese-owned chipmaker based in the Netherlands.
In September, the Netherlands used a Cold War-era law to take over the company and prevent the chips from becoming unavailable in an emergency, citing "serious governance shortcomings".
China said in response that it would not re-export completed Nexperia chips to Europe, raising concern among carmakers. One association had described the move as "alarming".
Around 70% of chips made in the Netherlands are sent to China to be completed and re-exported to other countries.
China said in a statement on Saturday that it would "comprehensively consider the actual situation of enterprises and grant exemptions to exports that meet the criteria". However, it has not specified what that could entail.
It also went on to criticise the Hague for what it called "improper interference in the internal affairs of enterprises" and blamed it for "the current disruption of global production and supply chains".
The Dutch-controlled firm told customers it would stop sending chips back to China to be processed, according to a letter this week seen by the Reuters news agency.
Last month, the European Automobile Manufacturers' Association (ACEA) had warned Nexperia chip supplies would only last a few weeks unless the Chinese ban was lifted.
"Without these chips, European automotive suppliers cannot build the parts and components needed to supply vehicle manufacturers and this therefore threatens production stoppages," the group said.
The latest plans by Beijing to relax its export controls have emerged after US President Donald Trump and Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping met in South Korea earlier this week.
Trump later said the leaders discussed chips, while Beijing's post-meeting readout did not explicitly mention any area of trade.
The White House is expected to release a fact sheet later on Saturday detailing its new trade agreement with China. Reuters reports that it will also announce the resumption of Nexperia exports.
In December 2024, the US government placed Chinese chip manufacturer Wingtech on its so-called "entity list", identifying the company as a national security concern.
In the UK, Nexperia was forced to sell its silicon chip plant in Newport after MPs and ministers expressed national security concerns. It currently owns a UK facility in Stockport.
Latest Stories
-
COKA urges NPP executives to return to party’s core values ahead of 2028
2 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Nsutaman stages comeback against Serwaa Nyarko Girls, Hope College to book One-Eighth spot
11 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Fafraha Community SHS defy odds to secure one-eighth spot
28 minutes -
Tolon Naa dies days after Yaa Naa, plunging Dagbon into further mourning
41 minutes -
CLOGSAG’s Bampoe Addo was a formidable voice for workers – FWSC eulogises
53 minutes -
Galamsey destroys over 100 acres of farmland at Akyem Atobriso
56 minutes -
GRIDCo completes tower replacement on Tema-Achimota transmission line
1 hour -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair Mini Clinic ends on a high note at Achimota Retail Centre
1 hour -
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
2 hours -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
2 hours -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
2 hours -
We couldn’t afford prepaid credit after I lost 2012 election – Obuobia Darko
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
4 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
4 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
5 hours