Audio By Carbonatix
Seventeen people have died of cholera at the Korle-bu Teaching Hospital in Accra since the first case was reported in January this year.
This was confirmed to Joy News by the Head of Public Health Unit of the Hospital, Philip Amoo in an interview on Tuesday.
According to him, a total of 636 cases of cholera have so far been reported, with the fatality rate inching to 2.7 per cent.
Per the figures, three out of 100 cholera cases reported so far have been fatal, he noted.
Mr. Amoo described the situation as grave and warned residents in Accra to be wary of the environment.
He explained that one can only suffer an attack of cholera when the person comes into contact with human faeces.
“Cholera cannot be spread by any other means unless human faeces,” he said, adding, the person may have accidentally drank water or eaten food mixed with faeces.
He warned that with an acute cholera condition, death can occur within 12 hours of diarrhoea.
He said residents must keep their hands clean at all times and wash their hands with soap before eating.
He also advised residents to keep their environment clean.
Story by Nathan Gadugah/Myjoyonline.com/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Meghan could return to acting once back in UK
28 minutes -
Bali jails Swiss tourist for insulting sacred Day of Silence
35 minutes -
Nii Lante Vanderpuye apologises to Sammy Gyamfi, NDC over GoldBod comments
3 hours -
‘You want the trade, but not the people?’ – Dr Yamson tears into South Africa’s xenophobia
4 hours -
Walmart sales under strain as US shoppers pull back
5 hours -
The Premier League’s new plan to end corner chaos
5 hours -
US Open offers biggest prize fund in Grand Slam history
5 hours -
‘I feel I am imprisoning myself’ – Djokovic on drive & doubts
5 hours -
India’s Gen Z are driving up a mega boom in its beauty market
5 hours -
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
6 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
6 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
6 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
6 hours