Families of people who are trapped in the rubble from the church building collapse at Akyem Batabi in the Eastern are losing hope as the death toll rises to 22.
Rescue workers combed through the rubble overnight as they search for about 60 worshipers said to be praying in the building at the time of its collapse on Tuesday.
Whilst relatives wait anxiously for news of their loved ones, hopes are gradually fading as strong stench begins to emanate from the rubble.
As of Thursday, more bodies had been recovered from a previous nine deaths bringing the total number of deaths to 15.
Eight others have been hospitalised and many more trapped under the rubble.
The six-storey building collapsed whilst worshipers numbering about 60 had gathered to pray on Tuesday.
However, the exact number of persons still trapped under the debris is still unconfirmed.
The rescue team made up of NADMO officials, Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), the police, soldiers from jungle warfare, fire personnel and local volunteers are on the site.
Eastern Regional Minister, Eric Kwakye Darfuor visited the scene alongside the Chief Executives of Oda Municipal and Asene-Manso-Akroso District Assemblies
Mr Kwakye Dafour said the rescue effort will not stop until everyone is accounted for.
The bodies have been deposited at the Oda Government Hospital mortuary.
Meanwhile, the founder of the Church of Prosperity, Prophet Akoa Isaac, who was arrested by the Akim Oda Divisional Police Command has been given a self recognisance bail.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- 30 communities in Central and Greater Accra Regions to experience ‘dumsor’
- ‘I dread pain and abuse’ – A female head porter opens up on her daily trauma
- ‘Government is either feigning incompetence on the point of how we fix structures or is pretending to fix them’ – Barker-Vormawor
- Police arrest notorious armed robber in Tema
- Debt increase of 137% between 2016 and 2020 lower than previous administrations – Ofori-Atta
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme; GES directs co-operation
- Covid-19: GHS to roll out second doses from May 19
- Virologist warns of third wave of Covid-19 in Ghana
- NSMQ2021: Mfantsipim School begins redemption campaign from regional qualifiers
#FixTheCountry: Put your concerns in a workable format so we engage – Government to protesters
Trade Minister commends Ibrahim Mahama for investing in cement industry
NSMQ2021: Get trainers for your students to do better – Northern Region Education Director to school heads
‘Culture of silence’ rumours are false; media is doing well – Oppong Nkrumah
20% of Ghana’s population have at least one form of mental illness – Mental Health Officer
Developments in Chad worrying – CFR-Ghana laments
National Association of Small Scale Miners accuses military of burning excavators owned by legal miners
NSMQ2021: Northern landlords, Tamasco, three others secure tickets for national championship
Females outnumber males in Covid-19 vaccinations – GHS research shows
#FixTheCountry: We expected government to listen instead of speak – Convener
NPP will break 8-year election jinx- Ishmael Ashitey
Covid-19 scared us from family planning treatment – Adolescents in Tema Metropolis
FORIG begins research into over 60 lesser-known timber species to reduce deforestation
Let’s tackle root cause of child begging-Population Council
Musicians and actors battle it out at Nhyira FM’s “Cook for Mum” Promo