Audio By Carbonatix
Before Ghana received its first consignment of the newly-developed Covid-19 vaccine on February 24, some conspiracy theories surrounding the drugs were already circulating on social media.
For some, it was just one of the numerous fake news that had been framed to pollute minds, hence paid no heed to it. But others after hearing them became fearful and pledged not to take the vaccine.
Comfort Asare says she used to be part of the latter group.
However, according to the 55-year-old, all her fears disappeared when she saw President Akufo-Addo taking the vaccine live on television.
“Since I saw President Akufo-Addo and his vice [Dr Mahamudu Bawumia] taking the vaccine, I have had no reason to fear,” she told JoyNews’ Manuel Koranteng.
Madam Asare who was on Thursday seen taking the vaccine at the Mallam Atta Clinic therefore, urged people particularly, the aged to forego the misconceptions and get vaccinated.
“When I took mine, nothing has happened to me, so I will encourage everyone to take the vaccine,” she said.
President Akufo-Addo together with the First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo on Monday, March 1, received the first dose of the 600,000 Covid-19 vaccines that arrived in the country.
The vaccination process was televised on all media outlets as well as social media platforms to boost confidence in citizens to take the vaccine.
Subsequently, the Director-General of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus congratulated the president for the act.
Meanwhile, the Ghana Health Service together with the National Commission for Civic Education (NCCE) have been embarking on a rigorous sensitisation programme to clarify misinformation and myths about the vaccines ahead of 17.6 million doses Ghana is estimated to receive by June.
Latest Stories
-
EPA to probe seizure of over 200 suspected galamsey machines at Tema port
7 minutes -
Ghana–Russia Center, Kuban Agrarian University seal deal to advance agricultural innovation
26 minutes -
Mahama opens maiden Tree Crop Investment Summit, pushes value addition and jobs
26 minutes -
Police recover five assault rifles after Bono shootout, one suspect killed
39 minutes -
Nana B slams Special Prosecutor over presidential primaries investigations
51 minutes -
The ‘Ghana Must Go’ bag of integrity: 3 police officers return GH₵85k
53 minutes -
Ghana must help Burkina Faso tackle terror threat – Expert says
55 minutes -
Police return GH¢85,000 found on Techiman–Kumasi highway to owner
57 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of prompt payment of outstanding allowances
60 minutes -
The Wahala Playbook: A quintessential guide to burying national scandals with internet gossip
1 hour -
Burkina Faso attack: Travel advisory insufficient, urgent security measures needed – Samuel Jinapor
1 hour -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Decision-Making Speed and Quality.
2 hours -
Emmanuel Bedzrah cuts sod for 17 educational infrastructure projects in Ho West
2 hours -
Samuel Jinapor calls for independent inquiry into Burkina Faso attack
2 hours -
Blend Festival wows audience at Polo Club Gardens
2 hours
