Audio By Carbonatix
The Cuban Energy and Mining Ministry said on Thursday 80% of the capital, Havana, had power, and most of the country's energy grid had been reestablished 24 hours after it crashed, leaving 9.7 million residents in the dark.
"Electricity coverage has been increasing, and we are generating approximately 1000 Megawatts (MW) that will increase today," the ministry's electricity director, Lazaro Guerra, said during a morning state television broadcast.
"The restoration process is going well. ... We are in the concluding stage of the restoration of the electrical system," he said.
POWER SYSTEM IN A LONG-TERM CRISIS
That system has been in crisis for years and has an effective capacity of just under 2000 megawatts and a national demand of over 3,000 MW.
Even before Wednesday's collapse the vast majority of residents were experiencing daily blackouts of 16 hours or more.
Cuba's oil-fired power plants, already obsolete and struggling to keep the lights on, reached a full crisis last year as oil imports from Venezuela, Russia and Mexico dwindled.
The grid failure follows four nationwide blackouts since late last year.
Communist Party authorities have launched a crash program with China to install 1000 MW of solar power this year and another 1,000 MW after that.
The country has also been facing fuel, food and other shortages as part of its worst economic crisis in decades.
"The electrical system seems to be going through a very difficult situation, but we think ... measures can be taken that may contribute to an improvement," said Sergio Serrano, a self-employed Havana resident.
Housewife Thalia Martinez was not so sure.
"I don't understand what the state is doing about it. ... It is the people who suffer, the children, the mothers, the grandparents, the elderly, and that is super bad," she said.
Latest Stories
-
Government sets up team to negotiate VALCO strategic partnership
58 minutes -
Ghana clears upstream disputes as $3.5bn investment pipeline takes shape
1 hour -
Land dispute turns deadly as man is allegedly stabbed with scissors at Achiase
2 hours -
Muntaka orders police to crush vigilantism, unauthorised ‘self-defence’ groups
2 hours -
Kingsley Agyemang donates medical equipment, pays patients’ bills at Kyebi Hospital
3 hours -
‘The Big Push is pushing’ – Upper West MPs hail contractors delivering in the region
4 hours -
Dorimon E-Block project nears completion after decade-long stall
4 hours -
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
5 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
5 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
5 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
6 hours -
Man Utd agree £70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
6 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
6 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
6 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
6 hours