Audio By Carbonatix
At least two people are reported to have died in a knife attack in the French city of Nice, according to local media.
French media on Thursday morning reported that at least two people had been killed in a knife attack in the city of Nice, with several others injured.
Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said the suspect behind the attack had been arrested. Estrosi said it appeared that the incident had been a terrorist attack on the city's Basilica of Notre-Dame.
"I ask the people of Nice to avoid the area to let the police and the emergency services work," wrote Estrosi.
French broadcaster Europe 1 reported that a man had attacked several people and that the two people included a woman who had been decapitated.
Early police reports indicated that a third person had died.
French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said a police operation was underway and that he would be chairing a crisis meeting.
The attack comes with France reeling from the beheading of a French middle school teacher, Samuel Paty, earlier this month in Paris by a man of Chechen origin.
Latest Stories
-
Newborn baby found dead in drain at Obuasi Old Estate
3 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
4 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
7 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
11 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
2 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
6 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
6 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours